We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mazatlan or P.V.?

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Mazatlan or P.V.?

We stayed at Canto del Sol in PV and right now they have a great deal to go go Mazatlan from Edmonton for two weeks!!!!!! We really loved PV but this deal is really good. Has anyone gone to PV and to Mazatlan? Can you tell me the pros and cons? Thanks in advance!!!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

Been to both. PV is always my favorite, but (like you) I'm always up for a great deal.

We can tell you pros and cons if you tell us what you are looking for in a vacation destination.

Mazatlan has gone through a huge renaissance over the past few years, so downtown is now cleaned up and robust where it used to be lackluster and kinda sad, though always historical and worthy of exploring. Both places have wonderful restaurants and beaches, depending on where you go.

So, what are you looking for? They are both awesome. Sometimes (depending on your travel goals ---- people, beaches, shopping, restaurants, culture, history, scenery, etc.), "a great deal" is the decider. I admit to that. To me, they are both so unique and special.

I usually go to PV because it's like home and I know how to get good hotel/air deals there but would go to Mazatlan anytime I could find the same deals.

What are you looking for?

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
486 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

We have been to both..we are coming back to PV in Feb..and have been to Mazatlan 6 times in the last 2 years..We have stayed at the Playa in Maz,The Costa De Oro and a B& B .Casa De Leyendes..we love Mazatlan..and would not hesitate to go back..this time we'll be in PV for a change ..we like Mazatlan .. if you stay in the golden zone you are so close to great places to eat and entertainment. The Sierra Madres have great lakes to go Bass Fishing,, It just depends on what your after.We are staying on the South Side in PV because we like to be close to everything.It's kinda like the Playa..within walking distance to lots to do. By the way..like you..a couple of our trips were just great deals..and this one to PV in Feb was a deal for us..

If you have any questons PM me..Sandi

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

thanks for getting back to me so quickly guys!

We really like the beach!!! When we went to PV in January we really enjoyed ourselves but the beach was not what we expected. We have been to Cuba and Porta Plata and Punta Cana a number of times but we thought we would try PV for a change. We had a great time. There was so much to do. I was never bored, but saying that we were dissapointed in the beach.

Does Mazatlan have nicer beaches? We are thinking of going to Oceano. Can anyone tell me what that is like. I have read a number of reviews on it and some say it is the greatest and some say not to bother going there.

We are really easy going people. We know that all hotels have thier pros and cons. It doesn't take much to make us happy. A clean room,nice beach,a little entertainment,a cervaca, maybe a couple of cervacas,ok maybe a few cervacas, and something to do a few times in a couple of weeks and we are happy.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

Been to both....PV more frequently, as well as Nuevo.

We like both for different reasons. They both have a very different feel.

You have been to PV, and your deal is to Mazatlan, xo I would say go go go!

Lots to do, some incredible restaurants, lot of changes in last few years...is really developing, whether that is good or not, hard to say.

The beaches in Mazatlan are great for long walks..hard packed sand, but it is brown sand.....the water is not crystal clear like Cancun, but does have nice color, though at times like PV there is a lot of shifting of sand and such in breaker waves.

Mazatlan is for the most part cheaper than PV, and the shrimp in Maz. is well incredible. There is of course a nice malecon, but not as nice as PV, but nice. There is also some great culture and some great churches....Immaculate Conception is so beutiful...you have to see it....I was in awe.

Of late there has been some difficulties with drug wars/lords etc. but I was in Maz at time when it was supposedly real bad and if you stay in tourist areas you are okay. There was high police presence and military presence but that is good, living in Mexico you kind of get used to that and know they are their for protection and do not fear them etc.

If you tell us what you want to do besides have cervezas ...LOL...Pacifico Beer is from Mazatlan, maybe we can help you out more.

We love both.......and go to both so ask away!!!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

well, we like to go snorkeling. We like to swim in the ocean. We also like to go walking in town and see alot of stuff, but we also like to go where the people live and see how they live. When we were in Varadero we went off the beaten path and went down towards the houses and we met a man with three camels. We had a picture taken with the camels and got to ride the camels and the owner wouldn't take any money for it!!!!! Finally after some negotiating he finally took 50 pesos which is like 5 dollars Canadian. Then we walked a little further and we saw a small amusement park for the Cubans. I felt a little out of place there but everyone was really nice. Then we met a man who stood and talked with us for about 45 minutes and told us how the Cubans really felt about the government. He was really quite informative.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

Both PV and Mazatlan fir the bill for what you are seeking. Snorkeling is not as great as Riviera Maya ( Carribean Area) but there is snorkeling, just a matter of visibility at time you go and such in both ares.

If you can get a great deal for Mazatlan....and you have been to PV..I say go for it....PV to me is like a second home..but Mazatlan has a special place in my heart as well, and the beaches are great for walking.

Good luck..hard decision, but great deal would be my clincher!!!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
246 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

Been to both, prefer PV hands down, although the beach in the golden zone is pretty nice compared to the beach in PV proper. Oceana is a less expensive place, and the 'ambience' is not anything that you can write home about.... but it is in a decent location.. close to the McDonalds anyway.

Just be careful if you do go to Mazatlan.. definitely a bigger police presence with automatic weapons... one year that we were there was an ambush of a couple of cops (killed) in one of those street patio restaurants... a guy from Edmonton just in the wrong place was shot dead.

PS: Lots of great places for Shrimp and fresh oysters there. Airport is a fair distance from your hotel... close your windows on the trip... you travel through some pretty slummy areas before you get to town.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

Mazatlan is a much smaller scale 'working' resort town, nice restaurants and beaches, locals are not as hospitable or friendly to tourists as they are in PV. Just my opinon...

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

Has anyone been to Oceano Palace?

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
489 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mazatlan or P.V.?

Guess it is all a matter of perception and your presentation........I find the locals just as friendly in Mazatlan as in PV . It is a different area and more of a working place..( Mazatlan).

Yes there have been some issues with police, drug lords, wars etc. but that is just about anyplace in these times.

We were just in Mazatlan in Sept., followed military caravan in and felt very safe our whole two week stay.

Anyone can be in wrong place at wrong time, in PV, Maz., Chicago, Boston, Lake Chapala, etc. ( Not picking on any area).

Only you can make this decision....PV is wonderful, Mazatlan is wonderful also in a different way...so where is the deal clincher. I love PV....my son loves Mazatlan....others love Cancun....

It is nice to go to many parts of a country to see and do different things as well, so once again I wish you good luck in your decision.....