We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip report

portland
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Quick trip report

Just got back from a glorious (but short!) 4 day trip to Puerto Vallarta with my husband of 13 years - our first time away from our 3 young kids in almost 5 years! The weather was perfect, and we loved every minute... barely missing the kids at all :)

We stayed at Hacienda San Angel, and wow. That is the word that best sums up this place - everything about it is wow... from the moment we checked in to the moment we sadly said our goodbyes, we had an amazing time. I can't think of a more romantic place or location... I will post a review later...

Day 1 - Check in, settle into our room and decide we don't think we ever want to leave. Sat on our patio with drinks, watched the sunset and listened to the mariachi band.

Day 2 - Still think we don't want to leave the room, but after breakfast is delivered decide to hang out at the pool for awhile. Finally walk to the Malecon and sightsee, get our bearings. Come back to the room -- do we want to leave again???Hacienda San Angel is so amazing we truly never wanted to leave - and we are usually really go go go people! Finally decided to walk to Barcelona Tapas for dinner and SO GLAD we did . I think this was our favorite meal of the trip - everything was delicious and perfect. After sangrias meandered back home and sat on our patio soaking in the beautiful PV lights, and enjoying time together.

Day 3 - woke up and caught a taxi to Boca. Arranged to have a water taxi meet us at Las Animas beach and took off on a hike along the coast. Absolutely gorgeous hike that hugged the coastline and took us along a few private beaches that were breathtaking. Finally made it to Las Animas and decided we really earned a big lunch! We ate at the 2nd main restaurant on the beach, and my husband's shrimp enchiladas were to die for. Hung out at the beach, swam, etc. until our taxi arrived to take us back "home." Las Animas was a beautiful spot to spend the better part of a day. After a long day, we happily ordered a fantastic dinner at HSA and nestled in for the night.

Day 4 - walked to Le Bistro for breakfast. Beautiful location on the river. Had a fine breakfast, and really enjoyed the restaurant. Then we wandered around old town for hours stocking up on gifts to bring home. Made our way down to Los Muertos and decided to come back later for dinner. Back to HSA - more relaxing by the pool and on our patio, and then on to Daquri Dick's. The location was nice, but all in all were not overly impressed with the meal. I am not sure why - everything was just fine, but after so many fabulous meals I guess this one just didn't add upp. The bruschetta, however, was fabulous and made our dinner not completely disappointing. Wandered around downtown, and then back to HSA to listen to music and enjoy our last night.

We didn't make many plans for this trip - I am so glad we didn't because we loved just wandering around the town and more importantly enjoying each other in one of the most romantic places on earth! This was only our 2nd trip to PV and we can't wait to come back.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip report

Thanks so much for sharing your trip, albeit a brief one. Sounds like you made the most of your time and enjoyed yourselves immensely. We'll surely have to put HSN on our 'check out' list when we get down there in Feb.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip report

Thanks for sharing your trip report and sounds like you had a WONDERFUL vacation! We love Barcelona Tapas & their Sangria too! We plan on a trip to Boca this trip but like you, we aren't really making any plans. I agree, PV is very romantic!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip report

I bet you didn't want to leave...HSA sounds and looks so romantic.

Barcelona Tapas is one of my favorite restaurants in PV...food, service and view are always outstanding, glad you enjoyed it.

I enjoyed my evening at DD last January, but I also have to agree, the food isn't fabulous.

I did a 4 day trip to PV a few December's ago and I know how fast the time goes, but I was lucky enough be able to return one month later for a week.

And...after 28 years of marriage, I agree, it is one of the most romantic places on earth.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Oregon
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip report

Hi Julie~

Welcome back! Thank you for posting your trip report, sure sounds like you had a wonderful time! Makes me miss it all the more!

Glad to hear that the HSA did not disappoint! It is an incredible place.

Will look forward to reading your review on it.

Cindy

Dallas
Level Contributor
215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip report

What are prices like there? What could a couple reasonably expect to spend for dinner with a coctail each? Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,954 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip report

Prices where - Hacienda San Angel or Barcelona Tapas?

Both have restaurants but HCA is also a boutique hotel.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip report

Thank you so much for the very nice detailed trip report, we are going to PV next week for a 4 night trip ourselves, glad to hear about your restaurants. We did the Las Animas trip a couple years ago from Boca, the problem was trying to find cabs, we ended up having to take the bus back.

portland
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip report

I am slowly acclimating back to "real life." Thank goodness Portland weather has been cooperating and while in the 50s it is nice and sunny - has made the transition home a LITTLE easier!

Someone asked about restaurant prices - at Barcelona Tapas we went all out - 6 tapas plates PLUS a pitcher of Sangria PLUS dessert PLUS coffees - and it was under $70. Totally reasonable, I thought. Plus, we didn't need half that food :) (But ate it anyway...)

HSA dinners are more expensive - entree range is about $20 - $30 -- totally worth it, though. The ambiance is worth that price alone!

Jealous of all of you who are planning your trip...

9. Re: Quick trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 14:20