We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

Does anyone know the current exchange rate given in Puerto Vallarta for CDN to Mexican peso? And where is the best place to change your dollars?

Also, has anyone been to the Costco? Does it have all the stuff you would find in a US costco?

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

For daily currency info go here:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

Today's rate = $1.00 CAD = 10.7049 MXN

Generally its been found the best exchange rates are thru using the ATM's. Best from a $$ perspective to withdraw a larger amount at one time so one isn't racking up bank fees and obliterating the exchange advantage.

Re: Costco = Commercial Mexicana in Mex. I have not been to the PV store (should say stores as I believe the store referred to as Mega is also a CM/Costco operation). I have however been to the CM in Zihuatanejo several times. I would imagine the PV store(s) are much the same. No the product mix is not like ours in Canada or those in the US. There are some Kirkland branded items/products but they are more like a 'grocery store' than a 'warehouse' type facility. One doesn't need to buy an entire bag of i.e.: - red peppers; you can buy just one or two. They have a pharmacy area, sell various and assorted household items (including furniture) and some clothing plus liquor of course.

I'm sure folks with direct experience with the PV store(s) can confirm/fill in further.

Hope that helps.

Hasta Holly

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,948 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

WCGal, there is now an actual Costco in PV. It's along the Fluvial road.

From what I've read/heard, it's similar to the Cdn/US Costco stores.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

I saw 10.00 pesos to the Cdn. dollar on Saturday evening on the Malecon. If I see more I'll post more.

I agree that the best rates are with ATMs (there are at least two in the airport)as long as you have a 4 digit PIN. Casa de Cambios are next best and hotel desks are the worst.

I haven't been to Costco this trip and I'm not from the US. I would say it has the same KINDs of stuff that they have in a Canadian Costco.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

Interesting Jenny. I'll be interested what those who've been there have to say! :-) I also wonder if they will still be there in Feb when I get there with the bankruptcy thing happening. LOL!!

Gracias for the update.

Hasta Holly

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,989 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

xe.com is a good point of reference, but in reality and in daily exchange you will likely not quite get the bank rates shown there.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

WCGal: The Costco here is a real godsend for anyone spending a great deal of time here (or who live here full-time). Things like Cheddar Cheese (Tillamook), frozen blueberries, and all kinds of frozen entrees and things that were impossible to find here before are available at Costco (like frozen Alaskan salmon). Also cans of white albacore tuna, pre-cooked bacon, Canadian bacon, good frozen pizzas, etc. But, of course, as in the US and Canada, most things are sold in large quantities. The Mega Commercial near Bucerias is just fine for most things. (It has some Kirkland products, but not many).

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

My recent observations. The exchange rate for a Cdn$ to Mexican peso (for cash) - at the Scotiabank (downtown, on Juarez) - dropped steadily from (an observed) high of 10.69 to one (on Nov 8) to a low of 10.30 to one (on Dec 01) - when we were in Vallarta over Nov 3 - Dec 4.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

Thanks so much again everyone. Frozen alaskan salmon..all right! Yes the online exchange rates are a good reference, but I was hoping to get the going rate that the exchange places give you. 10.3 is probably better than the rate the Cdn banks give.

Thanks all.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

The Costco is very much like Cdn ones, you can use your Can or Us Costco card, and they take Visa. We even bought a lazyboy recliner there for a very good price.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,948 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchange rate CDN to Mexican peso

At the casa de cambios on the street the rates vary, depending on where you happen to be in town. In Oct/Nov I saw anywhere from 9.5 to 10.3 depending on what side of town I was on, on any given day.

The only consistent rates I could find were the ATMs - always the best daily rate, and it was easy to decipher with a quick check of my account online. When the rates on the street were in the 9.5-10.0 range I was getting 10.8 to 11.1 via the ATM. That's enough of a difference to justify the international withdrawal fee. (-;