We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting sick

new jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
getting sick

Is eating food washed in water or drinking the water a concern anymore, or is that a thing of the past? Years ago, it was only recommended to eat and drink at your resort. Is it safe all over nowawadays?

At the Beach
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: getting sick

I honestly don't believe that eating at your resort is safer. We ate 3 meals out and all the food was hot when we got it, where as at the resort the meals were 'warm'. Plus I actually saw a kid licking the whip cream off a cake at the dessert bar with his finger and then going in for more. If anything is going to make you sick it will be buffets at the resort.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,686 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting sick

There's nothing special about food prepared by your resort... you can get sick there (especially from a buffet if it is not freshly prepared) as anywhere else, if food has been sitting out or somehow mishandled.

new jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting sick

I am inquiring about getting sick with regards to drinking the water or eating food that is washed with water. Years ago, the Mexican water was not agreeable with many stomaches---Montezuma's Revenge!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting sick

The tap water here is fine, passed International Standards for over 12 years. People will say, "Ah, but the pipes are old and leak" true, but if there's pressure in the pipe nothing is going to get in. Sometime after a repair the water will not be clear, but the water would have been off for a while and everybody knows to let it run for a time.

I've experienced that in the US as well as here.

Drinking and making ice with tap water for 10 years now with nary a problem.

Still wash my lettuce in a purifying solution though.

Oh! watch out for that "peanut salmonella" problem north of the border.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
993 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting sick

We have been to PV 10 times and never ever been sick. I brush my teeth with tap water. We eat all the fresh veggies and fruit. We have ice in our drinks. We drink bottled water as it is provided at no charge at our resort. (Dreams) Our Dentist uses water in our mouth when we go to the dentist.

California
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting sick

why does this question come up over and over and over again. Puerto Vallarta depends on tourism and they make sure the water is ok. Just do not drink out of a running drain. I brush my teeth with tap water and no problemo. If you have a sensitive stomach just drink bottled water and stay away from new foods.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting sick

why does this question come up over and over and over again. Puerto Vallarta depends on tourism and they make sure the water is ok.

Many areas of Mexico depend on tourism and do not have the same water standards as Puerto Vallarta. That is why the question comes up over and over again. People go to other tourist areas and still get sick and then they tell friends who tell friends and so the rumors go.

West Coast USA
Level Contributor
387 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting sick

Here is my completely paranoid response.

Re: water, why take a chance? That's my view. Your on vacation, spending bucks on the airfare, hotels, etc. Don't ruin it with an unnecessary, easy to avoid risk. We stuck completely with bottled water, even brushing our teeth only with bottled water (a minor inconvenience). Bottled water is cheap and readily available.

I never ate salads or cold sandwiches. I don't mean what follows as an attack. Just my take. It's not the water. I simply don't believe the staff who work in the restaurants and hotels universally understand the importance of frequently washing their hands. For this reason, I stuck with hot food.

I also avoided dairy rich deserts. Too hot, that dairy item does not have to sit out very long to spoil and become toxic.

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting sick

"Here is my completely paranoid response."

You said it we didn't, LOL.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,403 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting sick

Yep, that's about as paranoid as it gets...LOL

I avoid steam tray buffets altogether, as the only time food has made me ill in Vallarta was from an all inclusive. A four star all inclusive. Those things are just baskets of disease - and not from staff who don't wash hands, from patrons who don't.

As far as the water goes, it's never been a problem in Vallarta. Sure, people love to use the water as the fall-back blame position when they overimbibe or partake of too much rich new foods, but it's never been the water...lack of water is more likely to make you sick. Dehydration is a major issue.

A lot of places in town have their ice delivered daily, made from purified water. Most hotels and even some condos have their own purification systems on top of the already purified water that comes through the taps.

There's probably more cr&p in your water at home than what comes through the taps in PV. LOL