We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchanging money

new jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
exchanging money

If we want to primarily use pesos when we get to PV is it better to use an ATM at the airport or wait until we get to the hotel and then change our American dollars into pesos?

And, is the exchange rate somewhere around 13:1?

Thanks!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchanging money

I am not an ATM user so can't say about that.

We are finding money exchange to be slightly difficult right now.

The banks I've seen will only allow $400 US at a time and you need a passport or driver's license and need to sign for it. Some banks will not exchange money and most will not take Travelers checks.

I have heard some say that the ATM's have run out of money. I don't know if this situation is all over town or not.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchanging money

We have been to PV multiple times have always just used bank ATMs. We were just there a few weeks ago. We got a cab at the airport to our hotel. First thing I asked him was to please stop at a Bank ATM (ATM al banco) as we had no pesos. He stopped and we got abot 5000 pesos without any problem. Do not go to a bank in the US or one of the exchange booths at the airport. There is always a fee and the rate is not as good. When we were in PV the rate was 13.9. Find a bank ATM on the way to the hotel or get a cab ride to a bank when you get there. If you must, get a small amount changed at the hotel (once again, not the best rate) and wait until you can get to a bank ATM for the rest. Have a great trip!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchanging money

There are many ATMs at the airport but mainly near the doors for passenger drop off. Amounts of withdraw are from 200P to 5000P and as of a couple of days ago when we left the rate was about 13P-1$

but he buy back was 14.3P-1$. So use 'em up!

Be sure to fight your way through the banditos

(timeshare hackers) as you get to your ride and buy

sanctioned taxis.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,627 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchanging money

We have used ATMs for getting pesos our last 13 trips to PV, they are easily found all around town. I usually have enough left over from our previous trip to last our first day, but if you have none there are at least two ATMs at the airport, or as suggested have the taxi driver stop at one. I think you are staying at the Westin, there are several around the marina area.

Notify your bank of your dates in Mexico to prevent them from shutting the card off for suspected fraud.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: exchanging money

I pay for a taxi out of the airport with USD (I like to get out of the airport as quickly as possible).

After I check into my hotel I go back out and exchange USD at a cambio (exchange window, they're all over downtown). Or use my ATM card to withdraw peso directly. Because I'm a Bank of America customer, if I use a Santanders, there is no fee. I each method 1/2 & 1/2, so I've got two sources. I only use peso in PV. Remember to tuck away a little USD to save for your trip home. -suze

Seattle, WA
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: exchanging money

Suze2you - We're also BofA customers. I was able to go to the Santander website and find two bank locations in PV. Are there any freestanding Santander ATMs that you know of? Either at the airport or near the Melia hotel. Thanks for any info!

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: exchanging money

BOA also has an affiliation with Scotiabank. No fees at Santander or Scotiabank branches. I hear the exchange rate is about 14:1 lately.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: exchanging money

Sorry the only location I know is downtown (since that's where I always stay). Tight near the south-bound bridge between El Centro and the south-side, set on a plaza to the water-side of the street.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: exchanging money

That Santander Bank location is very near where it says 'Parking' (in the link to the map below) - at the I. Vallarta street bridge, and just east of the north end of the pedestrian bridge from the Malecon over the Rio Cuale.

Scotiabank is just a few short blocks north of there - on Juarez, just a half-block north of the Plaza.

Streets, etc., are shown in this map:

www.vallarta-info.com/downtown.html

10. Re: exchanging money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 11:18