We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking ban

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
Level Contributor
852 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking ban

Looking through past posts I see there is some kind of smoking ban in Puerto Vallarta. I can not find an updated post of this. Anyone been there lately? Going in almost 2 months and I dont want to break any laws!

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking ban

I was there in Jan/09. Look at "RDC- Smoking?" dated Jan 28 under my profile for details.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
407 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking ban

vexsgirl,

Returned Feb.5th and paid no attention to smokers just wish they would not leave their butts in the sand on the beach. Keep it clean and mind your smoke.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking ban

Just got back last week and I didn't notice any ban.

Sort of wish there had been one. Turistas were smoking everywhere. not use to it.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking ban

The only change I've seen is a few areas of the Marriott no longer allows smoking - for instance in their open air lobby bar, because food is served. And also, as mentioned in another thread, no smoking inside the airport.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking ban

youcan smoke at the airport ( if they change this ill find out tomorrow while i go pick up some friends

bruce

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking ban

Since the ban started the restraurants that you used to be able to smoke in are now smoke free. Trust me I've looked for one on our past 2 trips in November and December/January. Unless they just started allowing it again.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking ban

I do not know about in PV, but in Guad. you cannot any longer smoke in airport, but there are ashtrays outside. If departing there is a place you can smoke internally.

The law is fairly new and being construed in many ways in Mexico. It is meant to be no smoking in restaurants or bars etc. that are enclosed....all open areas are supposed to be able to smoke but many have also made those areas and even some open air restaurants non-smoking. If a restaurant makes an enclosed seperate area for smoking it is allowed. Again the interpretation of the law is unclear, not atypical for Mexico.

Have no fear, you won;t break any laws, just look for ashtrays, if none, ask, and you will know if you can smoke. Yes you can smoke outside, on the beach etc.

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking ban

I should have made myself clear that I was speaking about the restraurants in the airport. There are ashtrays outside by the departure area.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking ban

Here now and - as one of those dreadful smoking persons - not having any problems. I am finding in several places there are no ashtrays on the tables however almost the moment I take out my cigarettes an ashtray appears.

And no, I don't leave butts in the sand . . . or anywhere else other than an ashtray or garbage can.

Orillia,Ontario...
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking ban

There is no smoking in the airport..We were there in January, and could only smoke outside.