We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe's safe?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safe's safe?

So years ago when I went to Cancun I was told NOT to use the In-room safe. Does anyone know if this is the same for PV??? Or am I just being Parinoid?

Thanks

-T

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe's safe?

What exactly are you afraid of when you have your own personal combination?

I´m serious here.

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe's safe?

So what your saying is everytime someone checks in they have to reset the combo to the safe??? Like I said YEARS ago you got a key and there was more than one of those. I had a ex-girlfried have her passport stolen out of a room safe. This is why I asked. Really I was just wondering if I should use it or not. Didn't think It was that big of an issuse.

-T

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe's safe?

If you have a number combo safe, There are some staff members that can spray the keyboard and see which 4 numbers you pressed. It only takes a couple of combinations to figure it out

Easy fix...

After closing the safe for your day out at the beach

wipe down the keypad with a handy wipe and remove the oil from the pad. This is something I picked up on a Cancun web site

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,778 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe's safe?

There are very few hotels/resorts with in-room safes in Vallarta that use personal keypad combination locks. Those are far more common in Cancun and in US/Cdn hotels.

Most in-room safes in PV are key locks, and you have the only key. Not even the front desk or manager has one, so that's why if you lose it they'll charge you to have a locksmith come out and drill out the lock.

So are you being paranoid? Perhaps a little bit. I guess the question would be, are you paranoid about leaving your valuables in a safety deposit box at a bank, where no less than at least 4 employees have master keys at all times?

Sometimes you just gotta let stuff go and just try to enjoy a holiday. If you're not making yourself a target for personal crimes it's a better than average shot you won't be a victim of one. You should pack your common sense, and leave the paranoia at home - no place for it in your suitcase.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe's safe?

I've always used my in-room safe (electronic keypad entry) when visiting Puerto Vallarta, Las Vegas and Cuba... never had a problem!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,298 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe's safe?

Are you sure your hotel has in-rooms safes? I ask because the places I stay in Puerto Vallarta, have either safety deposit lockboxes at reception, or a common safe behind the front desk?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe's safe?

The hotels I've stayed at in PV all have had in-room safes -- that includes the Villa Premiere, the Marriott, and the Vallarta Sun Hotel. We always find out beforehand if there is one where we are staying, so it depends on your accommodations, and, as mentioned, not all hotels have them in-room, if at all.

I can't recall whether the lock was with a key or an electronic pad to program, but we never had any problem. Always felt safe with the safe.

CT
Level Contributor
547 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe's safe?

Jennybean is right about one key for the safe. The last I recall, if you lost it, the cost was $100USD for the locksmith and the new lock & key. Never had a problem with using the in room safes at the places we have our T/Ss. I will go a step further and say that I have never had anything missing from our place in over 25 years and that is not just including the safes. I have a tendency to leave things around. I am far more careful at home when I have workmen in my home. There, I seem to make sure I have left no valuables laying around.

I have noticed in PV that the same people have been working in the same Hotels for years, in particular, Maids. I would think that if the guests had problems with theft, they would not be there long.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe's safe?

PVJennybean,

Yor comment "I guess the question would be, are you paranoid about leaving your valuables in a safety deposit box at a bank, where no less than at least 4 employees have master keys at all times?" is not entirely correct. Canadian bank safety deposit boxes have two locks and it takes two different keys to open them. The bank controls one lock (and yes, it is a master) and the customer the other. When a customer rents a safety deposit box he/she is given 2 keys and informed there will be charges for a lost key and for drilling by a locksmith if both are lost.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe's safe?

Libby,

Even with the safes with your own personal combination on the key pad, someone has a key for it. Sometimes you get to a room and the previous people did not leave the safe open and therefore someone from the desk comes and opens it. NOT saying they are not safe in the room, just clarifying that your own personal combination does not make it tamper proof.