We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Washington
Level Contributor
298 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Us Airways to PV

Has anyone used US Airways to PV? first time for us usually alaska air non-stop.This time have one stop in az. Just wondered if usually on time,luggage gets there with you, the usual stuff.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Us Airways to PV

Yes, I've flown US Airways to PV and had no problems at all. I've also flown with alaska and would say that there really isn't any difference between the two.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,978 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Us Airways to PV

Have flown them via Phoenix the past 3 years...no problems, everything arrives with me, on time and in one piece.

Only hiccup was last year leaving the home airport - small maintenance issue (broken armrests) that caused me to miss connection in PDX, but they put me up in a 4 star hotel overnight and gave me mucho dinero in airport food coupons...most of which I gave away. I was pre-booked on the first flight out the next morning - no extra cost to me, all on US Airways.

I've never had any issues with them as a connector airline. I know people connecting from the east coast have had issues in the past, but from the west coast they have their system humming and it works really well.

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Us Airways to PV

I fly US Airways a lot, and used them to fly from Toronto to PV through Phoenix a couple of months ago. It was a fairly tight connection, about an hour. We were half an hour late leaving Toronto (they fueled the wrong plane, not ours!) but I still made my connection and, importantly, so did my checked bags. There was no wait at all in PV for the bags; they were waiting for me after I got through passport control.

You will find a Phoenix airport map in the US Airways in-flight magazine, and there are lots of TV screens there showing up to date departure gates and times.

My flight from PHX to PVR was on-time, even a little early arriving.

You should be fine, but I always like to get on my flight armed with some information, such as whether they have other flights from PHX-PVR on the same day after yours, just in case you miss the connection. You can get that from their web site, just search PHX-PVR for your travel date.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Us Airways to PV

Used to fly US Airways to PVR - but last time it was Alaska (which, while you did not ask, we were severly disappointed in - long long delay, did not update us honestly regarding the situation, refused compensation, etc).

Anyway, usually liked US Airways - though one time we had a delay going out of PHX due to mechanical reasons - they actually switched us to another plane, so the delay was not bad at all.

Going back home through PHX - after you get through immigration and customs, they used to have you go back through the main security and to get to your connecting gate. Don't know if that is still the case. If so - be careful about a tight connection.

Other than that - it was fine. I'd fly them again.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Us Airways to PV

Have flown them many times with a connection through PHX and except for one nightmare trip at Christmas a few years ago (won't go into that one) they have been OK since. Not sure if the policy is still the same, but last Oct they charged $15 for the FIRST checked bag, $2 for soft drinks and juice and $1 for coffee which kind of irked me.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Us Airways to PV

I think they no longer charge for soft drinks and water. The checked luggage prices seem to be pretty much the same now days across the board.

With that said, I have flown them many times with no issues. Granted ANY airline can have a late departure due to mechanical or weather issues- previous planes being late, etc.

If I plane departs on time, I am more shocked than anything:)

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Us Airways to PV

If you can find a cheap flight to SFO then book on Mexicana. They are who we have flown for our 3 trips this year for great prices. Around $200 r/t. We have used Alaska for years, but their prices have just kept on going up and up. Tried Mexicana in December and found it very reasonable. No charges for either food or drinks and the service is not bad in my opinion.

Washington
Level Contributor
298 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Us Airways to PV

Thanx all for the insight on US Air,I am getting more excited now as April is finally here! 19 more sleeps!

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,247 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Us Airways to PV

Chiming in late here... I flew USAir from Seattle to PV the past three years, going thru Phoenix. My exerience was very good. Completely smooth. Nothing to tell.

The layover time was a little tight on our connection returning to the US. Phoenix is a huge airport and you do have to clear immigration and customs there, (i.e., getting your suitcase, then rechecking it in between changing planes).

-suze

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Us Airways to PV

Stewbear's airline ratings

Alaska- 6

US Air- 8

Mexicana- 10 Plus!