We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

First off, I want to thank all of you here on TA for advices/reviews etc. I am very excited about my first trip to PV on April 23-29. I know many first-timers have questions/concerns about the safety issue in PV, but this community have helped me a lot. I feel very confident (and excited!) with my choice of going to PV, mostly because of what I read here and researched.

Moving forward, I am slightly annoyed of all the comments I received from friends and families in regards to the violence in Mexico. I know they are just concern for my safety. It bugs me on many levels. Especially how its the media who portrays this. I'm not saying violence does not exist, its just the magnitude of it. Also, on how gullible people are to listen to everything they hear. Then again, I do not blame them. This has however, made me think twice about everything I hear.

So, how do you guys deal with friends and family when they voice their opinions about Mexico?

2 more weeks whoo hoo! Btw this is my first time traveling to anywhere hehe =)

CT
Level Contributor
547 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

I deal with it best by coming home safe, Tanned, sound, rested, full of fishing tales and fatter from the great food and wonderful libations.

That is the best answer to the naysayers that believe the erroneous hype.

Riviera Nayarit...
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,730 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

Hi Travelvirlin, I just "bumped" up a post that I started that will probably be of interest to you.

Don't know about Canadians, but I think that a lot of Americans are not familiar with the geography of Mexico. They don't realize that it is a very big place. (I suspect that some think that the country is about the size of New Jersey.) And they don't know that the border towns, where narco-violence is happening, are far, far away from popular tourist destinations like Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco and Cancun.

My husband and I went to PV at least once a year since 1987 and bought a condo just north of the city in 2001. I live there part-time now and have spent more than 6 of the last 12 months in Bucerias. Before I came down here a month ago, many people asked me how I could go to Mexico since it isn't "safe". Do they really think I would live in a place that is "unsafe"??

Let me know if you need any more info and have a great time!

Ankeny, Iowa
Level Contributor
982 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

www.youtube.com/watch…

Show them this you-tube video that my wife and i did while we were there in March. There are other little clips on you-tube at various spots in Vallarta by other American and Canadians talking abou their safety in Vallarta and the surrounding area.

I gues one thing to do is pull out a map of mexico and show them the border towns that are being shown on TV compared to where you are at in Vallarta. I agree with previous poster, some people do not realize how big mexico is. and some people just Mexico by the border towns, Cancun and Mexico City, they don't know any thing else about the country or the people.

good luck... have fun and enjoy...

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

this is also a very good site. Some people from Puerto Vallarta post on this as well as others.

I hope if you like this some of you will post it. I learned about it in an ad in one of the tourist newspapers here (PVMirror).

http://www.thetruthaboutmexico.com/

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,989 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

I'm fortunate in that my friends and family already know &/or love Mexico. And I've been going to Puerto Vallarta for a long time, often solo, with never an issue. My people realize that PV is not an area of current unrest.

texas
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

I’ve had a hard time trying to convince my family to vacation in Mexico this summer but I finally got through to them. I’ve done a lot of research and have been keeping up with the ongoing violence and I told them that the part of Mexico we’re going to isn’t part of the drug violence. However, I’m still a little nervous but it’s not due violence. I’ve been to Mexico for the past two summers but I’m always nervous traveling to a foreign country because anything can happen.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

I just say, "Hey! you live in the Vancouver area and you're worried about us in mexico? Get a life!"

In 30 plus trips to Mexico, both sides, over the past 25 or so years, touch wood, I can truthfully say that about the worst thing that has happened to me personally is getting a margarita made with Cuervo.

Very seriously, the only time I was worried was from the bus ride from town to Mismaloya. The driver kept saying "banzai". . . .

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

i need a drink

Langley BC
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

LOL Claymore!...that driver must have been "Toro", he has a longhorn rack painted across the top of his windshield. And drives like a bat out of hell.

California
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: annoyed at the safety issue questions of PV

While were on the subject of safety in Mexico, my husband and I are going to PV in June, we were there four years ago and loved it. We also love the Riviera Maya, but in that area, the cops seem to spot tourists on a regular basis and you have to pay them off, which could be scary for some. My husband and I were pulled over after having our car the entire week, on the way to the airport, driving past Playa del Carmen in traffic that was passing us up like we were standing still (because he was going the speed limit) and two cops stood in the street with their radar gun, pulled us over and said we were speeding. My husband argued for 30 minutes because it was so ridiculous and obvious we weren't. WE ended up paying them $40.00, even though they said $100.00 or go to the police station right now. (they knew we had to catch a plane). I've heard this same story many times, so I'm wondering if that happens in PV too and is there anyplace in particular they hang out to find us tourists? In Playa they were always in the same spot, from what I read. So how how is it there driving around on your own? We love to explore on our own. NOt much for tours.