We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Orbitz

Ohio
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Orbitz

We booked a trip to Puerto Vallarta a month ago with the "Price Guarantee" with Orbitz. WRONG:( The EXACT trip has gone down and they say there is nothing they can do about it. I would not recommend Orbitz, when Expedia gave us rebates last year when our trip price went down. I even double checked when I booked this trip and they reminded me of the so called price guarantee.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Orbitz

This why I book my reservations directly w/the airline and hotel.

TX1

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,533 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Orbitz

Same with us unless we are doing a extremly last minute trip where the prices are basically *giving them away* sales.....

Also I find that most travel companies tend to sell the bottom of the barrel rooms which is something we are so not into,.......At our stay at PLA, I had exact room requirments that I wanted and so I phoned the hotel to book, explained what I wanted and I got it :) At a price that was totally agreeable to me!

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Orbitz

If you read the price guarantee, another customer has to book the same itinerary as yours on Orbitz at a lower price to get it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Orbitz

The price guarantee at Orbitz is pretty clearly written that the rebate comes not if the price goes lower somewhere, but if someone books your exact same itinerary at a lower price AT Orbitz - did you actually read it through and understand that, I'm curious?

It's pretty important to read the guarantees to know the ground rules.

Vegas
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Orbitz

I have booked many trips through Orbitz and have never had one problem with them. You must always read the fine print

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
954 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Orbitz

Never had a problem with Orbitz either - many trips to NYC booked with them. And yes, you do have to read the fine print. Just be sure to check before you book and you will not have any surprises.

reno
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Orbitz

I am passing this on when relevant because it saved me.

Another poster on this site gave me the code "entertain200" to save $200 off hotel stay in Mexico over 6 days booked through Orbitz.

It is the least I can do to pass on a great deal given to me.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Orbitz

Just to clarify, the coupon code entertain200 is for flight and hotel packages to Mexico, Caribbean, or Hawaii (not just hotel)

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
702 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Orbitz

I used that code when I booked my parents trip for next week. It made it cheaper to have them stay at GCP for 6 nights, rather than 5, like us. They aren't complaining.

colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Orbitz

More Warnings about Orbitz/RESERVATION REWARDS pop up window: 2009

This happened to me as of July 2009. Others feel free to say you got a good deal from Orbitz, etc. I'm just trying to warn you.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal told WalletPop his office has launched an investigation into controversial Webloyalty.com -- a company you might not have heard of, but might find charges for on your credit card statements.

The company operates Reservation Rewards and other programs that thousands of people have complained lands unwanted charges on their credit cards after they've used sites including Fandango.com and Priceline.com and ORBITZ. Somewhere in a series of windows following your order to buy tickets, users end up clicking a box that gets them subscribed to Reservation Rewards and signed up with a negative option -- meaning that you will keep being charged until you cancel. Your credit card information was retained from the previous transaction.

The problem is, many of those complaining don't realize for some time, or at all, that they've signed up because the charges -- usually just a bit more than $10 -- don't jump out on their credit card bills.

For More Info on what the Attorney General of Conneticut said and how to file with the BBB, etc, see walletpop.com/blog/…