We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomfield Hills...
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

Hi All!

Was hoping that I could get some advice or at the least your experiences with the following issue. Our 1st real vacation with our baby is only 12 days away and I am slowly getting anxiety ridden about protecting her from the high heat we will be experiencing.

We live in MI and as you all can probably imagine high heat and hot sun is not something we have to worry about. I have been so protective of her, that she has hardly been out in the sun. Last summer she was just an infant and this summer really hasn’t begun here yet.

I will obviously be taking along sunscreen, lots of hats and all of her bathing suits are rash guards with at least short sleeves, but I keep thinking I might be missing something.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as well as a good toddler friendly sunscreen they used that worked well? As I mentioned earlier, since we haven’t taken her out in the sun for long periods, we haven’t ever used sunscreen for her. So I don’t know which works best, etc.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated and welcome.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

Hat!

and keep her hydrated.

Other than that, California Baby products are some of the highest rated by EVW/ cosmetic safety database. californiababy.com/no-fragrance-spf-30-sunbl…

Also Soleo brand ranks very high for good product and safe- be sure to get one for face/head/ears and one for body- and waterproof.

You need to apply ALL SPF's BEFORE you go out into the sun, at least a half an hour for it to soak in and start to protect. NOT after you got to the pool or beach like most people do.

Here is a link to Soleo also:

gearpatrol.com/blog/…

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

Ocean Potion is a newer product (came out end of '08) that I have been extremely pleased with both for myself, my 3 year old grandaughter, and my very pale, sun sensitive daughter-in-law. Here is their link:

http://www.opotion.com/

You can find it at many drugstores in the US as well as in PV at many of the shops. Also, it is very reasonably priced. Drugstore.com sells it on line if you can't find it at home.

Brenda gave you very good advice about applying 30 minutes before hand. We also put it on before putting on bathing suits so there is no need to worry about anything riding up and getting exposed without sunscreen, i.e. baby hinny cheeks especially.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

Can't stress hydration enough. Water, juice, milk, water...did I say hydrate? It's very key for adults, but doubly important for little ones.

Also, try to keep her on a similar schedule as home. That will also keep her exposure down during the highest heat/sun points of the day as often toddlers are on nap schedules in the high heat of mid-day or early afternoon.

And apply, and keep applying, that sunblock all day.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

I'll have to look for the Ocean Potion SPF here, I am always looking for a good face one and the baby stuff always works good for me....my hair is so fine my scalp burns along with the tips of my ears:)

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

In your quest to keep her cool don't forget the reflection factor, she will get sun exposure even in the shade and especially in the water.

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

The above advice is great, but what my daughter used on her 20 month old twins was one of those uv blocking type rash guard shirts along with the water and sunscreen and hat. The boy is a red head and he did not burn at all.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,607 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

Hi snoop75,

Here's some additional stuff I remember about very young kids. I suggest a hat that let's the air in, like straw, and practice making it fun to wear before you go if she's not used to hats for more than a few minutes.

You probably already know this, but try to use a sunscreen for the face that won't burn her eyes when she sweats.

Don't worry too much, it's going to work out fine. You will be able to find lots of shady or covered places to sit at open air restaurants. You'll be able to minimize her sun exposure on the beach by utilizing the many palapas & umbrellas provided on most beaches. She can play in the sand or nap under that and you can sit a a couple feet away on the outside where you can get some sun if you want. When walking in town, there will usually be a shady side of the street to walk on.

Hopefully somebody on the forum can give you names of places to eat with A/C.

You are going to love some of the absolutely adorable little girls dresses etc. you can buy in PV!

Last but not least, Mexicans value family and children. You will be treated royally and waited on immediately, in most places, if you are having a problem.

puerto vallarta
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

i would suggest either the ocean potion or the coppertone for babies, and use like 45 or 50 proof. i use those even still as they are hypoallergenic.

then you can have exposure for quite some time.

i wouldn't worry as it seems you already have taken good precautions and know you need to protect yourself and the baby. enjoy!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
290 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

Hi,

We just returned yesterday with our kids: 5 and 2.5

I used the Coppertone Baby 50spf for their bodies and the Coppertone Baby 30spf stick for their faces. I was almost militant about applying and re-applying it. My younger one is good about wearing hats, so she wore hers most of the time.

I'm happy to report neither kid got a sunburn.

seattle area
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My Toddler and the HOT PV Sun!!!

I know it might sound like a crazy thing to do in paradise but we usually come in out of the sun for lunch and stay inside for the several hotter hours of the day. We nap, do art projects and catch up on all the dvd's we haven't watched in a while. My 3 and 5 year olds love it. We usually head out for a before dinner swim and then hit someplace that we can watch the sunset for dinner.

Also it is very important to pack a "restaurant bag." Service can take a little longer than we are used to and being prepared makes that experience much better. We have a backpack filled with paper, pens, stamps, stickers, beads and pipe cleaners, small games, hand wipes, plastic placemats (more for protection of the nicer restaurants table clothes...) you get the idea.

Also many restaurants (both here and Mexico) seem to think it is a good idea to rush the child's meal out before the rest of the entrees. You may like this but when my kids are done eating, they are ready to go! Then we can't enjoy our meal. I always request that all our entrees be brought out together.

Have fun -- we will be there in the hotter summer months too!