We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what night is best to walk the malecon

new york
Level Contributor
418 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
what night is best to walk the malecon

visiting in August with our teenagers. Is their a better night to walk the Malecon with perhaps more action. We are staying in Nuevo and will visit PV several nights during our two week trip. What budget restaurant would you recommend for hungry boys?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

Sunday evening is the busiest, there's no restaurant on the Malecón that I would call 'budget', many on the south side, depends what style you're looking for.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

I agree with JR, Sunday nights are the best, but I enjoy every night. If you are looking for a place on the Malecon to eat, I would recommend La Chata and to me, they have great food, great view of the Malecon and a mariachi band - and it is rather on the inexpenisve side. Enjoy~

Langley BC
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

Sunday is the best; food vendors are out in force and this might be a good way to inexpensively feed the boys and enjoy local foods at the same time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,197 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

The weekend nights are busiest with more special activities, but I think any night is good. There's always something going on.

Cafe Roma overlooking the Rio Cuale is a fun place for pizza, pasta, calzones (not actually on the Malecon but nearby) very reasonably priced and great atmosphere. www.romamexico.com They'll take your photo & put it on their website.

Don't Asaderos & Brasils have all-you-can-eat BBQ deals? They are in the "southside" neighborhood, at the end of the new Malecon extension.

If you want Mexican food, same area, you'll find Cafe de Olla or Fajita Republic on B. Badillo.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,680 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

The food vendors along the Malecon would be the most budget friendly option, but if you absolutely need a sit-down restaurant La Chata would be good.

It's hard to recommend something because what we may consider budget you may not, and vice versa. But La Chata is definitely reasonable.

Try to go earlier, before sunset if you can, for a terrace table facing the Malecon so you can people watch while enjoying dinner.

I've heard Cheeky Monkey has a decent limited menu at a good price, but whether they will be open in August is a toss up. LC most likely will be as it's pretty popular with traveling nationals.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,680 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

Good point - you could feed the kids very reasonably at Cafe Roma, and then walk it off on the Malecon.

I can highly recommend the pizzas, and the open face pizza subs - without hesitation I can say Fox has some of the best real pepperoni I've ever had.

See map for location.

http://www.vallarta-info.com/downtown.html

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

Both Saturday night and Sunday night are good. Lots of food stands to try and plenty of smaller places on the two streets that run behind the Malecon. They are Juarez and Morelos. While there are not any budget places per se on the Malecon, just a block or two off the beaten path, there are plenty, including a Burger King...haha but hey, sometimes boys need a burger!

Be sure to try the crepes if you come across the crepe stand by the arches or the strawberries and cream or the fried bananas. Yum!

Also, most places have a menu out or available, so as you walk around, check them out, see what is on them and prices. Do not worry about "safety" as I can pretty much attest that any restaurant you eat in here is not only safe but delicious!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

I agree re: weekend evenings. Check out Hidalgo (the street where the church is located), there's often a large food-stand right near the church, operated by ladies of the church, and they serve up some very good Mexican fare (pozole, tostados, tamales, and the like). And there are tables and chairs. It's friendly and fun, and the food's good too!!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,361 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

For hungry boys, if they are big meat eaters, we always did a dinner at Asadero's on Basilio Badillo.

It's a quaint Mexican ambiance courtyard with all you can eat, several kinds of grilled meats continually brought to your table when requested, not a buffet. Salad and maybe another side, not lots in the sides dept. but it's been awhile since I've been. Cheap for so much food, fresh and good. It used to be $10 US per person but probably more now, but not a whole lot more. Somebody here will know.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what night is best to walk the malecon

KansasPVgal ... if I remember correctly (from our last trip), it's now 125 pesos for the all-you-cat-eat meat platter at Asaderos. So not too much more than it was when you (and we) enjoyed it last.

And I agree with your sentiments - it was good value, and I'm sure would/could be a good and fun place for our original poster and their "hungry boys" to dine.

Cheers!!