We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me Choose a Restaurant

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Pipis, Cafe Roma or La Chata with teens. Who has the best margaritaand food ?

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Cafe Roma gets my vote (I don't know La Chata & definitely not Pipis).

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Cafe Roma has good pizza but doesn't seem overly Mexican or Vallarta-ish in my opinion. Pipi's is overly touristy in many ways but has that "Mexican Movie" feel with fajitas, giant margaritas, sombreros and loud Mariachi music which people love and it does make you feel like you are in Mexico.

La Chata is on the Malecon, has a great view and really good traditional Mexican food.

Hard to chose I am sure!

What area are you staying in? Here for more than one day? What time of day are you planning on dining?

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Thanks for the heads up on Pipis being touristy- not our thing

Wi
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Cafe Roma gets my vote.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Cafe Roma, hands down over Chata

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,183 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

I love Cafe Roma! The pizza is quite good, excellent thin crust. The owner and his staff couldn't be nicer. I usually drink my margaritas on the rocks, but the blended mango and raspberry margaritas are delicious on a hot day. I like the location, too. It's right next to the Cuale River, not too far off the beaten track.

La Chata has pretty good Mexican food. I've eaten there a couple of times with friends who wouldn't eat the vendor food I so love on Sunday nights. It's a great location for people watching.

Pipi's food is like the chain restaurants we have in California. I agree with Bzy1 about the atmosphere. It's what people who've never been to Mexico think of as "Mexican". The food isn't bad, the margaritas are fine, it's just not my cup of tea.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,993 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Cafe Roma makes a mighty tasty marg - you'll dig the glassware too. And I already know their food is great.

While I like the food at La Chata, I LOVE the food at Cafe Roma.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Well I do agree Cafe Roma isn't Mexican food :)

If you want a more Mexican food/atmosphere, I'd put Cafe de Olla or Fajita Republic back on the short-list. They are only a few blocks further from the others we're talking about, on Basilo Badillo, same street as Asadero's BBQ place also recommended.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,545 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

We have been to Cafe Roma, but not to La Chata or Pipis. We've heard good things about La Chata, but we would not even consider Pipis -- to us, it's a place you can hear and 'feel' from blocks away - no thanks to that!!

Cafe Roma offers a friendly and casual environment, with inexpensive & good food and drink -- with the bonus of viewing large iguanas in the nearby trees!! It would definitely be our pick of the three.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Me Choose a Restaurant

Fajitas and a lot of what Fajita Republic serves are Tex-Mex. That said we have enjoyed every meal we've had there over the years.

Cafe Roma is great, I think the teens would love it. We also like La Chata, so if you're coming to town multiple times I think you'd enjoy trying all three places.

Have been to Pipis once and the folks that like it don't wouldn't want to hear our opinion. And the food at Cafe de Olla reminds me of the chain food Mexican restaurants here in the states.