We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

We would like to take the kids (ages 13 and 16) fishing whie in PV.

We can't afford the charters that are $400 and $500. So we are looking for one that is less expensive, charter or shared.

OR is there just somewhere we can fish off pier etc where we can rent poles/gear etc.

delaware united...
Level Contributor
291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

where will you be staying..

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,498 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

Fishing from the shore, piers, rock outcroppings, and the like is 'free', can be quite rewarding, and all you need is something to get your line, hook, and lure/bait 'out'. Many locals just have and use a spool of line, and often, just a line wound around a empty plastic bottle. They cast away, holding 'whatever' they have, so that the line unwinds and bails out.

Fishing from the Los Muertos Pier (on Los Muertos beach) in the city's south side is a daily event, and frequented by many - both regular locals, and others alike. And I've personally watched the same activity from Los Muertos beach itself, with surf-casting just to the north of the Pier. And farther north, off rock 'piers' and outcroppings from the beaches in the Hotel Zone. And from the beach in Bucerias as well.

For the other -- like charters, renting of gear, etc., I'll have to bow to others for that info.

Colorado
Level Contributor
366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

My family did a 3-1/2 hour fishing trip on the "Captain Kidd". We loved it. We went in the morning and got to see lots of dolphins in the bay too. The tour is $65 per person, including drinks, snacks, bait, and I was $30 because I didn't fish. Here's the link to the website I booked through:

http://vallarta-info.com/tours/fishing.html

bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

we will be staying at Hotel Del Mar....(Villa Del Palmar).

Thanks for the suggestions..keep them coming.

Sonoma county, Ca.
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

All charters will have gear, some better than others. Many of them offer "boat sharing" by matching you up with others.

Another idea is to rent a panga. They are a lot less $ and fish mostly in the bay. You will have a blast!

I am taking my kids down the first week of August and will be fishing several days ....when are you going?

Higuera Blanca...
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
Level Contributor
868 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

Another possibility is fishing with the local cooperative at Punta de Mita- (el Anclote beach). You fish from pangas, they supply the fishing gear and the prices are good. You have to get there and can go by bus which is an inexpensive adventure in itself. To go by bus you take a local Puerto Vallarta bus to Walmart and then get the Punta Mita bus there. The cost of the Punta Mita bus is about 20 pesos! There are also other things to do from the panga- visit the Marietta islands which are scenic and a bird sanctuary, snorkeling (they will supply the gear) to see the local tropical fish up close and whale watching in season (december through March)

Here's a link to an expedition with the cooperative that we took (the pictures are mine). We didn't go fishing but did those other activities

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g499443-s4/Punta-De-M…

bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

What odoes a cooperattive mean vs a tour? Just ready the article. Looks like a GREAT trip for seeing different things.

Eureka/Fortuna/Hydes...
Destination Expert
for Eureka
Level Contributor
277 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

Bgsmky, I'll be at the VDP June 16-30 I was hoping to do the same thing with my son (Almost 3). When will you be there? If I find out anything while I'm, there next week I'll let you know .

-matt

Higuera Blanca...
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
Level Contributor
868 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

The cooperative is the local association of fisherman. They are not a big commercial establishment that spends money on advertising. It's all word of mouth. That includes people like me who have used them.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing in Puerto Vallarta - inexpensive baot or on land

we are there July 25 thru August 1st.

Thanks I appreciate it!