We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honest truth -from recent p v first timer

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
honest truth -from recent p v first timer

It was my first trip to PV and I jus got back to the east coast usa today. Before I tell me story let me start with the positive. But first let me say--I would never spend my own money to go to PV ever again...it was not worth it.

Positive:

- Locals are helpful and friendly

- Food everywhere is DELICIOUS!

- SAN SEBASTIAN is the best "tour" and worth it. As you ride up the mountains the tour guide give you a detailed history of MExico and local area and even legends and stories--- Its great.

-- Hotel Suites Nadia--great building- clean but in noisy area and also overpriced

--- there are art galleries if you are into that stuff

----FUSION GOURMET---BEST BEST FOOD

----SPIAGGIA ---BEST DUCK

NEGATIVES:

-- what drove me to come to PV was that my friends who had been 10 years ago described it as "quaint and more peaceful than Acapulco". NOT TRUE ....the only somewhat quant area are up in the hills near old vallarta and conchas chinas. conchas chinas area is beautiful but it looks like people with money stay around there. old vallarta is where the gay crowd hangs out.

-- All the nice restaurants are really expensive and over priced for mexico. Waiters are OVERLY helpful, they take your plates away before you even finish and they stand so close to your tables that they listen to your conversation. this happened to me at several NICE establishments

---the only way to get by on cheap food in PV is by eating at the taquito stands everynight----but who really wants to do that?

my advise to those that have experienced latino culture and really want to "get away" dont go to downtown PV, get your hotel in nuevo and just visit downtown.

THe malecon SUCKS--REALLY

PV is swarming with tour hawkers and timeshare dealers...I thought i was escaping them by staying in a boutique hotel--WRONG.....we were stalked by one guy the whole entire 7 trip

NEVER GO TO PV for a honey moon or romantic time.

PV might be ok for those who never been to a latin place and want to experience that---casue PV is safe.

Honestly PV was not that far from feeling like my own barrio on the east coast---

THe beaches suck, theres rocks in the water on the shore, water is brown and nasty

I would never go back---so many better choices that you can actually feel good about spending money

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

oh--and the thing i hated the most about PV---

you are realyl treated like a tourist instead of just a person enjoying their time

PV is just cheasy its like a disney land intro duction to mexico---absolutely horrible

2. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2009, 12:23
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,503 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

You're entitled to your opinion, we are entitled to ours.

More room for those of us who love PV and actually experience it instead of looking down our noses at everything.

So for those of us non-elitist plebes, Viva Vallarta!

(as a personal aside I really think it's amusing when people apply emotions to a place...as in "I hate this place". It's a city, not a person - I love how people abuse that emotion to describe stuff)

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

I speak Spanish and i expereinced PV I got up early every day and walked the neighborhodds.

6- 8 am is the only "nice time in PV actually"

PV sucks

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

FYI---I gave the postitive parts......so my eyes were open and receptive to everything PV has to offer--it just doesnt have much offer.

Flea Markets are like my local dollar store--no need to go to PV for that?

it was just a pure waste of funds.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

So, tell us how you really feel about Puerto Vallarta.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

It seems like you went to all the wrong places. A lot of people gave you good advice.

Yes, some brown water, it's the rainy season what did you expect ?

You should have done more research or taken the advice you were given.

The Malecón Sucks ? how ? Did you ever go to La Bodeguita del Medio as we suggested ?

What neighborhoods did you stroll ?

Next time go to Acapulco, probably more your style.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

after looking at your history you really did not do any homework or pay attention to what people where telling yu when you asked your questions

puerto vallarta 1 is known for its culinary treats and some of the best servers in the world

but id be interested in what you have to say about panama!!

you will find it very sleasy compared to vallarta!!

puerto vallarta is actually a very laid back city in wich you will find that the original people born here offer you big open arms

AND THATS WHY I CHOSE VALLARTA AS MY NEW HOME 5 YEARS AGO

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

Honest Personal Opinion would be a better heading.

'Truth' it ain't, sorry I live here and love it, think I'll steer clear of Washinton DC LOL

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,884 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: honest truth -from recent p v first timer

So sorry you had such a bad time. I went to PV at least once a year since 1987 and bought property in the area in 2001. So glad I live there part-time now.