We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how soon do you start packing?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how soon do you start packing?

Just curious to see how far in advance you start to pack..To me, packing is one of most exciting things of going on vacay..I am already thiking of getting a "travel kit" prepared with sunscreen,candles,band-aids etc etc..Im not leaving until the end of next month! I guess the excitement is starting to kick in...I'm such a procrastinator though! When I went to Negril I didnt find my passport until the night before..I dont usually pack my clothes until the night before as well, so if I dont start to get the "small things" together way ahead of time I will forget with my last minute packing..

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,989 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how soon do you start packing?

I start as soon as I buy my plane ticket. Usually that's about 6-8 weeks in advance.

Because I most often travel to beach destinations for vacations, I have an entire wardrobe ready to go (that's stuff I don't much wear at home in Seattle) and a rolling duffle bag I use every trip. So it's a very easy "pack"... bathing suits, pareos, sandals, shorts, tshirts, straw hat. I wait and buy things like sunscreen, body lotion, beach towel after I arrive.

I *always* know where my passport is!!!!!!

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how soon do you start packing?

Im so unorganized! you know where I found my passport? In one of my old suitcases..Ugh! what I would give to have it all together..LOL

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how soon do you start packing?

My wife & I leave Aug 1st & we started laying cloths out last night. As the week goes on we’ll start adding all the essentials i.e. passports, sunscreen etc. Then the night before we leave we’ll hit Wal-Mart for all the odds & ends that we've discovered we’re missing!!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how soon do you start packing?

We don't leave until Nov 2, but we have already starting going through clothes and stuff, and putting 'potential takers' aside (in a cleared out bureau drawer or two).

We're planning to go really "light" this time -- via carry-on's only -- so it will take a little planning to arrange. No more large bottles of body creams, sunscreens, bug sprays, and the like!! anything needed in addition to the few 100 ml bottles we'll each be allowed to carry-on, will be purchased 'in' Vallarta.

Now to find/purchase the appropriate carry-on's!!!

A side note -- we always stay at an airport hotel the night before our actual departure day. We were in the hotel and enjoying some wine during the afternoon prior to our last trip, when I discovered I had left all my "pills" at home!! Had to taxi home to catch them - ouch, a taxi fare I will not soon forget!! But luckily, I was within a decent distance to be able to do so, and when back at the hotel, more wine helped me forget the ordeal!!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how soon do you start packing?

I pack right before I get in the car to go to the airport or airport hotel if flying early in the morning. Only exception for me is when I leave for the airport directly from the office so have to pack before I go to work.

I make a list of the essentials like passports, money, cc's, atm cards, and a med or two and double check that before going out the door. Other than those, I figure I can always buy it in PV (and have) if I forget it.

TX
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how soon do you start packing?

I hate the actual packing, but do enjoy planning what I'll take. I like to buy a few new items of clothing to take on each trip -- having something new to wear when I reach my destination gives me even more to look forward to. I start putting it all in the suitcase a day or two before departure. My passport is always in its folder in the file cabinet, so I never have to go searching for it.

Langley BC
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how soon do you start packing?

the day the laundry from the last trip is done!

johnny, my SO did the exact same thing one year...got all the way to the Fairmont hotel at the airport and had to drive home to Langley to get his pills! At least his vehicle was in long term at YVR and no cab was required. His pills are now the first thing put into his suitcase!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how soon do you start packing?

johnny2bc

how can you only go with just carry-on and no checked luggage? Do you go for very long?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,458 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how soon do you start packing?

homeinlangley .. same place for us, but daughter drove us there, and I couldn't reach her for any assistance when I discovered the missing pills later that afternoon!! The taxi way the quickest and easiest way to retrieve them - but wow, it sure cost a pile!

vaca-destimation .. we are set for a 30+ night stay, and 'yes', this time, come "heck or high water" we plan to do it with just carry-on bags.

In the past, we have always checked luggage -- one bag per each of us -- and we always ended up taking absolutely WAY too much of everything!! That's over. It was not necessary, and never was. And now that the carriers are charging $15 or 20 US$ per each 'first' bag, and each way -- a great time to change how we travel!! We can buy all the 'extras' in Vallarta for less than paying to transport them, and can do without all the inconveniences that go with claiming and re-claiming luggage with airport connections, and all.

Thus, why I stated it will take a bit more pre-planning this time, but we're totally confident we can do it this way, this time.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how soon do you start packing?

johnny2bc

You have made some very good points and I sure do wish you luck and hope you can manage it. We always end up taking too much as well with l checked suitcase each and 1 carry on each. We will be going for 30 nights in 2010 last wk in April & 1st 3 in May. Can't wait but I don't think we will be able to cut back. We will see. I do wish you luck and look forward to hearing how you make out.

Where do you plan to stay?

Leaving from Vancouver, which city do you transfer planes in?