We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

I HAVe checked out the topic but still need help to sort this out-

I'm trying to verify at my Verizon store in the US today if i will be able to receive calls in PV by pressing whatever they tell me to press but i am skeptical.

Here's the thing - i have no reason or need to receive or make calls to the US except for one thing - my 83 year old dad would like to be able to reach me 24/7 in the event of an emergency with my 82 year-old Alzheimer addled mother - yeah - it's a bad situation but he doesn't want me to stop living and so the trip -

anyway - my sister tells me she uses Travelphone when she goes to Europe but Verizon is telling me i can have cellphone capability @ 99 cents a minute while i'm in PV - not sure that i quite trust Verizon and don't really have time to order a travelphone as we leave in 6 days - is there such a thing as renting an international cell phone once we get to PV - does the airport have a booth to go to???

Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks LORI

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
961 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

We just returned from PV (Nuevo Vallarta)...We have verizon and made a call home just about every day. When we arrived in Mexico I recieved a free text message from Verizon instructing me to dial 001 and then the 10 digit US number. Worked like a charm, but I'm not sure how much it cost us.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

If you are not really sure if what you were told was correct you can always check the rates on their website.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

Not sure the actual cost but it is very expensive and those minutes go quickly. I used mine a couple of years ago. The number did not show up like the normal number on caller id so I did not know who was calling but I never answered it, just checked in with my daughter a couple times.

I agree, their website should have international rates.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

My dear mother-in-law had Alzheimers, so I sure can understand how you feel. Is your dad computer-literate? You could communicate by e-mail from internet cafes one or more times a day very inexpensively. If he does not use a computer, you could e-mail a relative or a friend whenever you wanted and they could call him and act as a go-between. You could switch to phone calls if the situation warranted. Also, there are restaurants in PV that offer free long-distance calling for patrons. That may be a good option for you.

Best wishes,

Elena

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

Dear Lori,

Wish I could give you info on international cell phones but can't. Just wanted to wish you well and I totally understand what you're dealing with as "two trips ago" (Nov 2007) my 88-year-old mother was in ICU following emergency heart surgery when I left for PV - a trip planned 10 months in advance and I was obligated to various things, including pre-paid Spanish immersion school.

I almost cancelled my trip but even my mother urged me to go, from her hospital bed.

Not sure if this will help (as it doesn't answer your basic question on cell phones) but my brother and boyfriend were in touch with me constantly by phone and e-mail. Brother wrote me every day with reports on e-mail. I left boyfriend an International calling card so he called me every night (and sometimes each morning) at the Sheraton. They obviously were both in touch with the hospital also, as well as each other.

All went well. I was never out of touch. They kept an eye on mom and kept me informed. Also, she's still going strong, almost two years later.

Your message brought up an important point -- you still need to keep living. If the cell phone becomes too frustrating, there are other adequate means of communication, if not completely 24/7. Unlike the 90's, PV provides several means of very efficient communication these days.

Enjoy your trip.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

Lori...Verizon works great to make calls and receive calls in PV...we use ours all the time. 99 cents a minute or 50 cents per text message. We use our phones all the time while in PV, mostly to keep in touch with another while we are there or to contact our local friends...never really need to call home as most of my family and friends are with me while in PV...but we don't always stay at the same resorts. Just make sure you have international calling plan on your cell phone...or if your dad has a international plan on his land line and he calls you at your resort land line, it is normally only 7 or 9 cents a minute.

Enjoy your trip and so sorry to hear about your mom!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
938 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

I use my Verizon when I am in PV. It works fine. No reason not to trust Verizon. Call them and make sure you have international calling on your plan.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

Thank you all for your good wishes & advice - I never thought of not going away because Dad has told me my whole life how "we won't be around forever" - i'm going to stop into a verizon store today just to get it straight "from the horses mouth" but i think Verizon is going to work just fine - i just pressed *228 & then "2" to update roaming capabilities - i will have dad do the same on his verizon wireless & then i'm pretty sure there will be no problem - anyway, that was the info i got when i spoke with Verizon - Thank you all - really Lori

9. Re: International cellphones basically for calls from US to PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2010, 06:18