We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

to never again @ Golden Crown

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
to never again @ Golden Crown

Since you obviously didn't read this message board before you left, I doubt that you'll see this now but here goes. I'm sure that you paid a lot more at the Adventura Spa. If you did read the postings here you would know that the water is not as clear as Cancun (especially in the summer; ie rainy season). You would also know about the vendors, all beaches in Vallarta are public and not owned by the hotels, therefore the vendors have every right to try to make a living there. Also the hotel staff (waiters & bartenders) make about $5 US for a 10 hour day and most travel an hour or so to work so tips are most appreciated and are common if not a given. My wife and I are go there twice a year (going back for 2 weeks beginning Oct 16) and we love the place. The food is not "5 star" but is very good with a nice variety every day. Sorry you didn't like it but it is our "home away from home". Suggest next time you book somewhere, that you check it out more carefully.

california
Level Contributor
281 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

Senorbobo: I so appreciate your feedback on the Golden Crown. As you may know by my previous posts we are visiting the GCP in Jan and I have been monitoring this forum closely reading all of the post and making mental notes of everything. We will be there for 4 days. How much should you tip and how often. I dont want to be a "cehapskate" but I also want to be fare. Please let me know what you think.

Do you tip every 3rd drink how much? And how much do you tip after meals?

How much do you leave for the housekeepers?

Please advise your thoughts....thank you so very much for your insight as it is greatly appreciated.

thanks

lisa

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

I give the waiters 1 or 2 US $ at breakfast and lunch. At Salvadors & Paradise, I usually leave 5 US unless my wife has the sexy coffee (highly recommended and have Poly at Pardise upstairs make it). It's a great show. The bartenders and pool waiter or waitress (get 2 on the first drink of the day and then a dollar or so a few more times (about every 2 hours.) They will always be looking for you to get you another drink and will remember from day to day if you drink the same all the time. I recommend trying several of the different drinks as they are all good. If you drink a special brand (my wife likes Absolute Vodka) ask for it by name as a lot of the "good stuff" is in the cabinets. I leave a dollar or two for the maid on the pillow each day. Don't leave it on the nightstand or they won"t take it. it.

california
Level Contributor
281 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

Thank you so very much. It is trully appreciated. I am with you. All though it says all inclusive it does not mean that you cannot give a little extra.

I will follow your guidlines and I am sure we will have a wonderful experience.

thanks again

lisa

northern alberta
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

my kids and i stayed at the sister site the crown club next door for 2 wks last yr. i have nothing but good things to say about this wonderful place. i might even go back to the same place again this yr at xmas i liked it so much. thnx for your post senorbob and i do hope you have lovely weather in 2 wks. we had 5 inches of wet snow here on sunday, and wouldnt mind to be somewhere nice and warm right about now!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
219 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

Senorbobo

good for you! You are right I found out that the concierge at jour hotel made just $16.50 a day that less than $2.06 an hour! No benefits or insurance either.

I tip 20% of my total bill at restaurants. For room service I tip $2.00 day for just a standard room. If I have a kitchen or something like a one bedroom with kitchen i tip $5. a day and that's because they wash my dishes and clean my kitchen area. For a bigger room I tip more...These girls make maybe $4 a day.

We have it real good compared to these people. Remember that when you are vacation and they are trying to just make ends meet.

There is power in kindness. :o)

Iowa
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

We are going to be staying at the Westin Regina. It says we will be charged $5 a day for the maid. Does that mean we need to tip also, or is that her tip??

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

senorbobo: good for speaking up, it takes a lot to let things out sometimes. It really amazes me that some people even travel, and expecially to places like mexico, when they know it's a 3rd world country! sometimes read reviews and just shake my head !

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
844 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

To BoaterKathy,

I'm not saying the hotel isn't trustworthy, but I personally would ask about that $5.00 charge - tell them you want to tip the maid directly, and leave the $5.00 propina on your pillow every day - that's how much I would tip for a regular hotel room anyway. I just don't know if they actually give all that money to the maids. Sometimes places add on "resort fees", this is the first time I have heard of a daily "maid" charge, seems strange to me. Anybody else know if this is legit?

Anyway, I would always rather leave my own tip when possible :).

Kit

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

The Villa Del Mar & Villa Del Palmar add $4.00 a day charge to your room also, they say its for the maids. You can decline to do this however & I always do because like others we leave the maid directly $5.00 a day. That way I know they do get it.

Iowa
Level Contributor
459 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: to never again @ Golden Crown

I would definitely prefer to leave it in the room for the maid myself, also. We are doing a timeshare exchange and this is what the exchange company told me, so I figured it was a required thing. So we can ask when we check in and just tell them we want to leave it ourselves???