We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

Missouri
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

We're planning a trip late Dec through Jan. 1. Having trouble deciding between the two. The prices are similar. Three adults, two teens. Dreams seems fairly secluded, will that be a big deal as far as walking to a restaurant/ bar/shopping? Also, is it not as exciting an ocean view without the city around? I have read reviews of the beach at velas, and they are not complimentary. Can anyone can shed light on the which they prefer as far as location, food, rooms and service? I would appreciate it very much!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,684 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

You're not going to be able to walk to anything from Dreams - it's on the south shore just off the highway, and sl you'll have to be doing taxis or buses into town. Dreams gets high marks because the people who choose it are looking for that seclusion/tranquility aspect of staying in more of a "jungle" type setting, with ease of access to town if they choose it.

Velas Vallarta is in the marina area, which has restaurants, shopping, etc. The beach isn't as nice as the one at Dreams, but it isn't horrific. This is a good family place, nice and big with beautiful landscaped grounds.

Frankly I'd be hard pressed to pick between the two, but because you want ease of access to amenities that are in town within walking distance, I'd choose the Velas.

Missouri
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

Have you stayed at either resort? Could you recommend any others that you like?

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

I sounds to me like the Velas would better meet your needs. Walking distance to lots of restaurants in the Marina and some nice small shops and galleries. The beach is not awsome but it is usable and walkable.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,684 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

Haven't stayed at either, have been to both on several occasions. There is nothing wrong with either resort - because of your interest in shopping, walking around and dining off the resort grounds, Velas Vallarta is actually IN Vallarta whereas Dreams is just south of town by a few miles. That's the only reason I suggested one over the other - IMO they are both excellent places to stay.

Frankly I'm not sure what people were expecting from the beach at the Velas - it's an atypical Pacific Coast beach with the golden brown sand. It's not super wide or long for walking but I didn't think it was that bad in comparison to some other beaches in the hotel zone and others in the marina area.

If you want to see a map of the marina area and spot something that catches your interest, have a look here.

http://www.vallarta-info.com/marina.html

Move the map up or down to see other areas.

CT
Level Contributor
547 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

Have not been to Dreams, but have been to the Velas for many years. The Beach is not that bad. I am not a real Beach person and the 2 main pools at the Velas are great. The Marina Malecon is within walking distance. Loads of stores and loads of very good restaurants.Logistics alone would favor the Velas

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

I love both of these resorts....but if you want to be able to walk to restaurants, bars and shopping, I would pick Velas Vallarta. I own timeshares at Velas, so my heart belongs there - but I have referred friends to stay at Dreams for their honeymoon and they LOVED it! I think the beach at Dreams is better but I can not complain about the beach at Velas either, it is very large and you can walk south for a bit, or north for a mile...so plenty of room to roam. We normally swim in the pool but we do make one ocean swim per day, for me, it is a bit chilly during that time of the year.

I love the rooms, the food, the service, the grounds, the staff, the views, the pools...there's nothing there that I don't LOVE. If you would like to look at pictures of Velas, I have many pics and a video posted under my profile.

But...you won't go wrong with either resort! Enjoy~

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

I am not going to be a help at all but I just came across this blog about Dreams and thought I would share it- very detailed!

http://www.sandyman.org/sandysbeach/?p=837

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

Thanks for posting that blog!

What a great read and pitures. We loved it at Dreams :0

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

I'd go to Velas Vallarta any day over Dreams. :-)

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams vs Velas Vallarta suites

Have never been to Dreams but have been to Velas Vallarta and loved it. Highly recommend. The Velas brothers do an amazing job at their properties. Have also been to Grand Velas in Nuevo Vallarta and it was just amazing and Casa Velas also gets amazing reviews so I really don't think you can go wrong with Velas Vallarta. The marina area is a lot of fun. Make sure to go to the lighthouse and walk to the top for a drink(sodas for the teens haha). I had no problem with the beach at Velas Vallarta and I had an amazing massage outside on the beach that was from Velas Vallarta.