We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping- again??? lol

San Diego
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping- again??? lol

HELLO Trip Advisor Members :)

Just something I noticed when we last visited and thought Id ask others opinions.

All my life Ive tipped by a percentage of the bill-normally 20-25%.

It seems like that is the case for most people.

But if we do that are we 'really' tipping based on service?

What I mean is if your bill at Cafe Roma is 300 pesos that could be for a few drinks and 2 entrees. Your bill at say La Palapa for a few drinks and 2 entrees could be 600 pesos.

Itd seem that one young man based on tipping by percent would make twice as much money for doing the same work.

I guess Ive never looked at it that way but was something I noticed because of the price differences in Puerto Vallarta.

Easier example 5 beers at Cafe Roma would be about 75 pesos those same 5 beers could be 200 pesos in a different place.

Based on a 20 percent tip the first waiter earns a little more than a dollar tip and the second waiter earns over 3 dollars for the exact same work.

Thats just my observation but I was wondering if anyone else thought about it.

In Puerto Vallarta and I guess the rest of the world is it fair to tip based on percent?

And if we do tip on percent are we really tipping on service or are we tipping because of cost?

Does a waiter who has to remember the ingredient is imported goat cheese deserve a greater tip then the waiter that has to remember the ingredient is local manchego?

My first Trip Advisor comment! YEAH!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

I cure the problem by not going to the overpriced places LOL

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

Your question(s) could be posed for any North American city from Puerto Vallarta to San Diego.

In reality, you tip the same percentage across the board- 10-25% depending on service.

Typically, a higher end restaurant will have more professional and better trained waitstaff. For example, you will not find the same level of waitstaff at the local Denny's as you would at Okada at Wynn. You may find someone offers you great service at both but it goes beyond cheese plus many high end restaurants will not hire waitstaff without some serious experience.

Granted I've had a server at a diner who could easily work at a high end restaurant and I have staff at a high end restaurant that should not be a busboy at an Applebee's. But in the end, the higher end restaurants have a waiting list for hiring servers because of the difference in pay/tips and the person who gets the position has be qualified.

The great servers promote themselves by being qualified to work in a busy higher end establishment, the ones that are not so great usually are never hired.

I'll be in Vegas tomorrow and I will eat at low end and high end and I can tell you that over-all there is a big difference on the two jobs. I would never expect the same level of knowledge or skills from a server at Denny's as a server from Bouchon. Apple to oranges.

In reality, the great servers promote themselves by being qualified to work in a busy higher end establishment, the ones that are not so great usually are never hired.

Here in Vallarta I will also say the same goes. I know people who start out working in A/I's and want to move on to a place they can make more tips. Waitstaff are pretty transient.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

Congratulations on your first TripAdvisor post! I guess a lot depends on what area of the U.S. you live in, too. I've never heard of a 25% tip as being the norm, although I've done it once or twice. Where I live, it's more like around 20%. Wherever you go, there will be a big discrepency in tips even in the same restaurant. A server in a family-style place who serves the tuna salad plate will get a much lower tip than the one who serves the prime rib dinner.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

Like Bzy1 said it is the same here NOTB. Yesterday we went to lunch at an upscale restaurant in downtown Los Angeles before a matinee play, the bill before tip $101. Today we'll go to our usual weekend lunch spot where the same tab will be about $40. One difference being we have not been to that upscale place in nine years, our usual spot sees us a couple of times a week, so guess which waiter makes more per year from us.

BTW ~ if Monty Python's Spamalot comes to your town I highly recommend seeing it, very funny and entertaining.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

Yes, I often do tip a higher percentage than usual at good but inexpensive restaurants in Puerto Vallarta. For example a nice breakfast at my hotel may be only 50 peso, but I'd probably leave a 20 peso tip.

Like many on this forum, I also solve the problem by not eating at the really expensive places. I just can't justify (or see any reason for) spending 50-75USD per person for a fancy dinner in PV when there are such excellent places more reasonably priced.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

When I go to a beach side restaurant if it is really hot and humid and hubby orders a bucket or two of beer (1 bucket=3 beers) we ask them to keep them cold and serve them individually, I know this keeps them running back and forth. Also, I only drink pop or water. This does not amount to much $$ less than 200 pesos but I will tip 50-70 pesos because of the demands I have made on the server, more if I know them.

If I receive top notch service no matter where it is I acknowledge it according to what I feel it was worth to me. Depending on circumstances - I have tipped 100 pesos for a 200 pesos meal and 50 pesos for a 500 pesos meal.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
937 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

I have always felt that way about tipping.

I have had terrible service when spending over $200 for a dinner and great service at Dreams which is an AI. I tip for the kind of service that is given. I have tipped $35.00 for dinner at Dreams and nothing for bad service at an expensive restaurant here in Sedona. We are very easy to please and always polite.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
391 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

Unless the Service is extremely bad I always leave 20% no matter where I dine or how much the bill is. The waitstaff relies on it. Once we had a dining plan in the Bahamas at an Exclusive hotel the tips there were more than we usually pay for our dinners in the States, Very Expensive Glad we had the dining plan.

9. Re: Tipping- again??? lol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2010, 07:18