We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

The worst thing, for me, is that I had just left my beloved camera at a very small (one room) massage place and they said they had not seen it.

Then, we walked to the beach and I decided to have my hair braided. It took so long and I felt GREAT because it was so hot out.

When we retuned later to the resort, I looked in the mirror and I looked like my great aunt Violet (when she was 85 years old!). It was awful.

I left the braids in anyway because I knew a photo would not be taken of me, and it was hot outside!

They stayed in three days. I found a way to shampoo my hair each day with a soapy mixture in a pitcher that I would pour over my head then rinse.

That was only back in July of this year, but I cannot get that ugly image out of my head. Nor can my husband. Sigh.

What about you?

mexico
Level Contributor
659 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

sailed into bahia de banderas bay

stayed around los muertos

had a wonderful time

the worst

never went home

still here forty years later

still lovin vallarta

chico

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

The worst thing is if I don't finish my drink fast enough, the ice melts.

No actually, I lost a camera one year too, after too many margaritas in too many bars, I left it somewhere. Now I have a small case (and a better camera)that I wear attached to my belt. So far so good.

Never had my hair braided. Not enough of it.

cabo
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

I´m with elcala,

worst thing that happened to me is that I can´t get those great memories of PV out of my head. Also maybe that time I wished someone would have cut me off before that last shot of tequila :{

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,778 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

Worst thing that happened was an in-room theft...but I counteract that with the fact it happened once in 16 trips and it was only money, which is far easier to replace.

It never soured me on the place or the people though; some of my friends thought it might. It just reminded me I'd gotten too lax in my own personal security - I went too far into "vacation mode". I consider it a great wake up call.

Now, the best thing? Was discovering and falling in love with Vallarta in the first place, and all the great friends I've made since starting to go there. Were I to shuffle off this mortal coil tomorrow, I would consider myself truly blessed because of it.

Tacoma, Wa
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

The worst thing to happen to me on my many trips to PV was the passing of a dear friend who lived there the day we arrived.She loved PV and was were she wanted to be. Miss you Sandy.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,439 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

We walked up to Machi's BarBQ (a few trips ago) and found it closed. Heh, we were surprised to see it closed (on a day we thought it should not have been), but when the same thing happened a second, and I suspect a third time, we were more than just a little surprised, and suspected something was up.

Then reality set in, it had closed!! A very big "OUCH" from us -- we had lost friends, Enrique's great cooking, and our favourite Vallarta restaurant!!

J&W
Calgary AB
Level Contributor
582 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

1) Lost my Mexican wedding band in the sand.

2) Sun burn.

3) Went on a time share tour.

Everything else is good.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
722 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

Mine just happened. I came in town 8/9 unknowingly incubating the H pylori bacteria. May have been 2-3 months, unknown. I got very sick, a friend got me to San Javier within 2 hours of my saying bye bye. They treated me extremely well and took out my inflamed gall bladder, stablized me and Kaiser wished me back will all papers to San Francisco. Airlifted me [30,0000 paid by them] to hospial ICU. I was uconscious for a total of 2 weeks. I came to and embarked up a rather strong recovery which amazed many staff. I was dischared yesterday ahd am in slow recovery but will be back in PV end of Oct until 12/11. Close call.

See a Doc if not up to snuff. I kept thinking I would get better...NOT! But I made it with a ton of support fromm hundreds of PV friends. I was buoyed by their posts on my groups plus cards and private emails. Hug the ones you love, tell them, and try to be better with someone you have a problem. I emaied 2 former friends I have been a bit estranged. Move on, live life, be good, and positive. Cup is full not half or half empty. I am seeking a path to travel prob in PV. It will come to me and I will embrace it. Today could be your last chance,everyone!

gary

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

Worst thing that has happaned to me...all six times....this is horrible too......

I

HAD

TO

GO

BACK

HOME

TO

CANADA

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What was the worst thing that happened while vacationing; PV

Worst (and BEST) thing that ever happened to me in PV was our driving trip in October, 1983 when 5 of us women drove from Guadalajara (stopping in El Grullo, en Jalisco for a week, to visit relatives) but when we left (in a severe tropical storm) to drive over the Sierra Madre, we drove over a rock and our entire gas tank emptied in a minute. We were stuck at the top of the mountain for many hours and thought we'd die.

Best thing? See above. That was the day I fell in love with Puerto Vallarta. When you think you are "near-death" and someone saves your life and you arrive in PV in the late afternoon? Even though the rain was coming down so hard and we got stuck at Camino Real for two days (now Dreams) as they wouldn't let anyone leave, it was Paradise. Still is.