We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexicana does it again!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grass Valley...
Level Contributor
536 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mexicana does it again!

We prefer to fly non-stop whenever we can. Nothing will mess up a vacation like a missed connection or luggage lost in transit. From SFO to PVR we have been pretty much stuck with Alaska to get the job done, but this trip we lucked out.

We have been “Frequenta” fliers with Mexicana for years, when we fly to other parts of Mexico and love the airline. We have flown into a dozen cities and never had a bad experience. When I purchased our tickets in March, Mexicana was offering n/s flights and the fares were several hundred dollars less than the competition. R/T $299.00 all in.

Remember how it used to be when you flew? It is still that way on Mexicana if you book your flight with them and not a code share partner. Arrive at the gate and you can still check 2 bags, free! Once on board the stews come by with your free headphones to listen to the audio channels or to watch the free movie. Your lunch arrives, airline food, but decent and of course free! By the way, beer and mixed drinks (Bacardi, Cazadores) are also free. I hope they don’t hear how crappy US airlines treat all of us while charging us an arm and a leg. They might figure out that they don’t need to provide “real” service.

By the way, if you bought tickets as early as we did Mexicana has made some changes to their reservation system and you may have a different confirmation number. Easy to straighten out on the phone.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexicana does it again!

I have to agree. We just flew Mexicana from Edmonton to PVR through Mexico City. It was at least $250 cheaper than any other airline per person. Did involve a long 4 hour layover in Mexico City on the way down, but worth it for the cost difference. Free bags, food, drinks, movie, headsets, snacks. It even arrived early both ways.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexicana does it again!

In 25 years of Trips to Mexico I have flown Mexican at least 40 times. I have yet to be disappointed. Been "kicked" up to first class several times including our Luna de Miel in '98, had a plane held for me in Mazatlan, received a full refund when a death in the family caused me to cancel my bargain ticket. On & On & On!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexicana does it again!

We've twice flown Mexicana from Calgary to Colombia via Mexico City. The equipment was new, the service was excellent, and everything went exactly as planned.

We use WestJet for our trips to Vallarta, though, because they fly direct from Calgary three times a week. It's usually more expensive than some of the alternatives, but if you're flexible and keep your eye on the seat sales, it can be cheaper.

We don't mind paying more for the convenience, the reduced travel time, and the elimination of connection risk that direct flights offer. A personal preference, of course; others may see things differently.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,276 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexicana does it again!

That's good to know.

We've always liked Mexicana too. Great service, free wine, lots of food and drink in the lounges.

The only reason we personally haven't flown with them more is scheduling. For us to go through Mexico City from where we are in Canada is kind've the long way around. But we'll keep it in mind when looking for flights.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexicana does it again!

Flew Mexicana last month, SFO - PVR. Great price, non-stop flight.

As the OP mentions, they provide free meals and drinks. In September they also had a special promotion where they were allowing 3 free checked-in bags per passenger. My wife was able to pack a lot of stuff to take to her family in Mexico.

In Jan this year we travelled US Airways PVR - SFO. Of course you cannot take liquids in your carry on so we boarded without water bottles. They charged us $2 per bottle of water.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
435 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexicana does it again!

Lol, that is soo true! We generally fly Alaska to PV, but this last year Mexicana was a better deal even with a $50 companion ticket that I had through Alaska (What a joke!). We were a little concerned because Mexicana didn't have the best record, I guess... BUT we were pleasantly surprised. Food, no charge for 2 bags, good service, generous with the beverages including the alcoholic beverages. I actually just cancelled my Alaska Airlines credit card because I just don't see the value in it anymore. Domestically I'd rather fly SouthWest (cheaper airfare and more flights) and to Mexico I'll go with Mexicana. I think Alaska Airlines may be struggling as it seems they have made a lot of changes recently, increasing fees left and right.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
435 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexicana does it again!

Oh that reminds me has anyone tried Volaris?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,985 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexicana does it again!

We flew Mexicana direct last year, and really like it a lot. The food, free drinks, etc. All made a difference. I wish we could fly them this year, but the best deal was on United, and no one else could come close to the price we paid. The only downfall, for me, with mexicana, is the seats. They are definitely "shorter" than other airlines. My head was way above the headrest. But I am taller. On U.S. carriers, the headrests are higher up so my head has somewhere to "rest".

California
Level Contributor
103 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexicana does it again!

We just flew with Mexicana on AA (code share) Frequent Flyer miles. Everything stated here was exactly the same for us. I agree that Mexicana is the best for flying to and from Mexico.

10. Re: Mexicana does it again!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2010, 05:17