We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
666 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

I was just on Alaska's website, and it states that tickets purchased after May 1st 2009 will be charged $15usd per checked bag! It did not state this when I purchased the tickets (at least nothing that jumped out at me).

We are travelling with a group of 8, so this can add up quickly. Something to keep in mind when comparing flight costs.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,470 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

The only airline in the US I know for certain no longer charges for baggage fees is American. Delta may have also rescinded their fees but that I can't say for certain.

Even in Canada the lines are fuzzy if you're using Air Canada instead of WestJet (WJ doesn't charge, AC it's a serious grey area).

Example - I have friends who bought their flights to Las Vegas last month with a connection in Denver via the AC website, with AC flight numbers - and they wound up having to fork over $70US in baggage fees at the airport in Vegas for the return leg, because AC put them on a United flight (their mileage partner). No warning, no information in their ticket/itinerary, nothing.

So never, ever assume your baggage fees are nada unless the airline clearly states it - read ALL the fine print!

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

South West Airlines does not charge any baggage fees but they don't fly to Mexico or Canada. I always fly US Air. I am a Dividend Miles Member and a Silver mileage. So our first two bags are free. Check out what you can join with your favorite airline to help save fees.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

At this time, both United and Delta allow 1 free bag from US to Mexico for economy class tickets. I won't be surprised to see that disappear in the near future.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

We flew Alaska Airlines to PV in August and yes, we had to pay 15.00 per bag. They seem to be the only one charging on international flights. I could not really get upset since I got free tickets using miles but they collect it at the kiosk you check in on. Make sure to limit your checked baggage to one each at most :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

Mexicana air from Edmonton: 2 free checked bags, free meal, free booze, free headsets and movies. The only drawback is a layover in Mexico city.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
436 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

Yes, I am an Alaska Airlines miles customer and it does me no good at all. I still have to pay fees. Mexicana seems to be a good option flying from SFO to PVR for us... Domestically we've decided to fly with Southwest, they go where we want to go, no fees, more flights, oh and of course better deals.

Mentioned in this post
Ordaz
Ordaz
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

There was talk of SOuthwest co-sharing and flying to vallarta some time in 2010 but that was before the recession and every other black cloud hanging above us. Let's hope they do!

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

I too travelled Alaska Airlines for most of my nineteen years of trips to Mexico.

Last year I learned about their baggage scam after booking and a great argument ensued.

I am a senior, and Mileage plan member, doesn't matter, they charged me $50 US Dollars for my second, 23 inch bag containg school supplies for the poor families living in the mountains.

Bye bye Alaska, I wasn't kidding when I told you, it was the last of my money you would ever see.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

And now this......Two bags=$80 US dollars added to the cost of Alaska flight

"Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air passengers traveling on tickets purchased on or after May 1, 2009, will be charged $15 for the first checked bag* and $25 for the second checked bag."

Each Way!

Bye bye Alaska......I've found another carrier who appreciates my business.

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska Air - Checked Baggage!!??

They "Got me last year, but no more,

Scam me once shame on you, Alaska Air.....scam me twice, shame on me.

I moved on to Westjet, a Canadian company and no baggage fees!