We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on PV Hotels??

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Opinions on PV Hotels??

We are planning to go to PV after "Semana Santa" on or around the last week of April and the 1st week of May to celebrate our 1st anniversary. First of all, how is the weather at this time? We are a couple in our early 40's, like to have fun and also like luxury! We are not HUGE party animals, but like nightly entertainment, whether it be mariachi's in the hotel bar, piano player in the lounge or a big mexican show. We are looking for a place that is spotlessly clean (no bugs or creatures - yeah, I know - this is Mexico - lol), has good service and good food. My husband is also really big into having nice pools/waterfalls etc. - ha ha Having a really good view is VERY important to us also. (We aren't asking for much, are we?) We are looking at the Westin, the Marriott, Fiesta Americana, Dreams and Villa Premiere. Dreams is a bit pricey as you have to have the all-inclusive and Villa Premiere might be "too dead" for us with no entertainment. Does anyone have any opinions? We don't want to stay too far out of town and I think Nuevo Vallarta is too far, unless there is a hotel, perhaps, at the start of Nuevo Vallarta, that is closer to town that I don't know about. If any of you have been before or any locals know, which hotel would you choose out of the ones I mentioned? Any opinions, good or bad, would be appreciated!

Canuck

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

Forget to mention that we don't have children. It's not that we don't like children, but we don't like misbehaved children running loose at the pools and such, so we would be interested in a place that maybe didn't have so many kids - lol. It is after Semana Santa which is April 8 - 23rd, so we are hoping most of the kids will be back in school?

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
566 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

You might look into Velas Vallarta. Its in the marina area but only $4.00 cab to downtown. We really like it there. They allow kids but they have their own pool & never really bothered us. The marina has great restruants & so does the resort. You will find the softest beds in PV here also. Not rock hard like most. Check out the website

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

Thanks, Islands. I will check out the Velas Vallarta website.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

Check out Grand Velas also. Sister property to Velas Vallarta. It is in Nuevo Vallarta but not extremely far away. It seems to have everything else you are looking for. Not a huge nightlife but a little entertainment. Won't be screaming with kids probably. We are going back for Thanksgiving this year. Discovered it last year over Thanksgiving. This year, we are doing three nights at Velas Vallarta and six at Grand Velas. If you check out their webiste, don't be shocked by the prices. Their posted rates are high; however, you can get much better deals booking through a tour company. I booked through Costco and saw Classic Vacations has decent rates also.

Good luck!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

I looked briefly at Grand Velas, but we are from Canada and the only rates I could find basically started at $700 CDN per night! That is highway robbery!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

YOu can definetly find better than than. Check out Classic Vacations or American Airlines vacations. I show rates of about 400.00/night. We are paying 395.00 for 2 adults and 1 12-year old child. Their posted rates on their website are very high, check out some packages if those rates seem decent.

We booked through Costco ourselves.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

Thank you, I will check out Classic Vacations etc. It is a sister property to the Grand Velas - is it as nice as that one looks or is it like a "poor cousin". The one you are talking about, VV, has kitchens, right? That might attract more families maybe. It will be for our 1st anniversary, so we are looking more for a quiet (but still some action at the hotel) time. I will check out the rates first, as it may be too expensive compared to say, the Marriott or the Westin as we don't necessarily need an all-inclusive as we like to try all the restaurants in town. Thanks for your suggestions!

Canuck

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

Good luck. The rates I posted were for Grand Velas-the really nice one and that was USD. Velas Vallarta is the sister property and they do have kitchens. There you have the option to do All Inclusive. We are not doing it for the three nights we are there so we can go into town and experience restaurants in town, do the canopy tour, etc. Then we are going for six nights to Grand Velas to just relax and unwind.

I have heard good things about Westin and Casa Magna Mariott also but I got spoiled last year with Grand Velas.....

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions on PV Hotels??

Kellsma,

I got a rate for the Velas Vallarta - it was over $400 night - too much for us. The Marriott and the Westin are half that price. Still researching...want to find the perfect place for us. We don't want to stay in Nuevo Vallarta as we would go into town everyday and the bus ride (I have heard) is about one hour and the price for a cab would be quite high, I would imagine.

Canuck