We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin alcohol question

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Westin alcohol question

My family and I are going to be staying at the Westin in December. When we usually go on vacation, we buy a case of beer and store it in our room. We bring a six pack or so down to the pool in our soft cooler and drink our beer out of a cup. Any idea if the Westin will allow this?

Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
11 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin alcohol question

We've stayed at the Westin PV several times. We head across the street to the market to stock up on beer and keep it in the room (don't worry about anyone searching your shopping bags.. just keep walking). I've never tried to bring a cooler out to the pool area-- and expect they would frown on this. Best bet is to keep it in the room and enjoy on the balcony.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin alcohol question

Just a short response, baseballguy, since we stayed at the Westin last year. We're not pool people but we spent one whole day at the pool and walked by them every day, on our walking rounds.

Frankly, I don't know the rules (maybe someone else has specifics) but if you are sitting by the pool at the Westin (like most resorts in PV), there is a pool bar which sells alcohol --- beer/wine/mixed drinks, etc. The pool bar at the Westin (the one we used) has some killer margaritas! Not cheap, but very good.

But (like I said --- I don't know the official rules), I wouldn't even try to take recognizable beer/wine, etc. to a pool bar in any of the places I've stayed in the past few years, including the Westin. The pool bars make their $$ off their signature drinks. Usually the rules are that you can't bring your own alcohol into the pool area. (I've stayed at so many hotels in the Marina and the Hotel Zone that I can't remember all the rules).

If you can figure out how to be discreet though (this is why wine is often easier than beer), and you don't draw attention, you could probably get away with it. Anonymous plastic containers usually work. Difficult to carry beer in them though.

We usually drink a lot of agua at the pool (so as not to get dehydrated) so maybe someone else can answer this with more assurance (as to the Westin specifics) than I can? If you're using the pool facilities though, it would be nice if you helped out the local folks and bought a margarita or several. ;-)

Enjoy the Westin. We loved it.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin alcohol question

Also, hoel is correct in mentioning the OXXO across the street from the main entrance to the Westin. Beer prices are good there. No need to stock up at Wal-Mart or other large mercados, unless you really want to haul the 12-packs around and have to take a taxi back to the Westin.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin alcohol question

Not sure about the Westin, but when we visited at the Marriott last April, we saw many coolers with beer, pop, water, etc. All were in cans (glass would be frowned at around a pool because of breakage) and people either had the cans in those foam wrappers or were pouring it into plastic cups.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin alcohol question

We just returned from Club Regina 3 weeks ago. CR and the Westin share

pools and grounds. I have noticed guests with canned beer and other

beverages. A couple nearby shared a two liter Sprite and a bottle of

liquor. They mixed their own drinks and staff said nothing. I do know

staff frowns on glass bottles of any type in the pool area. Be discreet , use

no glass containers, and have a good time.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin alcohol question

Glass is definitely a no-no. That would get anyone in trouble. It's just not safe.

However, as I said above (so I'm making a promo for the Club Regina at the Westin), there are local people who make their income (whether it be wages or tips) on staffing the pool bar. So, if anyone is taking up space at the pools and those employees are wandering around, asking you if you want something to eat or drink, PLEASE buy something at the pool bar.

As mentioned, we thought the margaritas at the pool bar at the Westin were excellent. Large and strong - not watered down. Also, we ordered a marguerita pizza (cheese/tomatoes/basil) at the pool bar, which was also excellent and worth the price. That's my favorite kind of pizza and I've had them in Philadelphia, Baltimore, New York, SF and locally all over Northern California in the past year or two. The one at the Westin was the very best.

So, please people --- when you take up space at the pool (space costs the resort $$ --- quite obvious when you watch the maintenance people cleaning the area and refreshing those loungers), honor the locals working there by not just bringing your own beverages and snacks and sitting/laying on one of the Westin's very nice teak/canvas loungers. Buy something at the pool bar as the locals need the $$.

Off the soapbox now.

illinois
Level Contributor
536 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin alcohol question

When we were at the Westin pool we went with the waiters. But at sunset we would BYO down to the beach for an extended (and cheap) happy hour, actually a very happy hour and a half.

8. Re: Westin alcohol question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2010, 05:26