We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

Hey Guys and Gals.

I'm a longtime Cancun travler, 9 times in 18 years, and want to come to Vallarta.

I do want an All Inclusive, and I know what to look for, but I need to know where. I want to be close to nightlife. Ya know, clubs and such plus some shopping if possible.

I guess my biggest question is what part of Vallarta to stay at?

Also, I have become accustomed to the safety of Cancun, freely wandering the streets and such, of course using basic common sense. Is Vallarta safe like this?

Lol, I don't want to sound stupid, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if you all have any questions bout Cancun, I'll gladly trade info, cuz its on place I do know.

Thanks, Terry

Edited: 19 December 2009, 19:35
winnipeg
Level Contributor
967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

safety is not an issue in vallarta, lots of info on this subject just use the search button, as far as where to stay there is also lots about that in the search, but i'd say in the romantic zone or old vallarta , i think thats what the experts call them

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

I guess what im askin is what area of Vallarta is closest to the clubs, ect.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,386 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

Majority of the nightlife is along the Malecon, so you'll want to be short distance from there.

Closest areas to the clubs would be north downtown area, or the Los Muertos/south side area. See map (scroll up or down):

http://www.vallarta-info.com/n_downtown.html

If you don't want all inclusive I'd consider looking for a condo as well as just hotels, to expand your choices. PV has tons of choices in all price ranges, and lots of them are available in the areas you would want to be.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,512 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

Here's a link to find "what's happening" in town and where. Using the information provided at this site, in conjunction with the street maps provided in the other link, should really help "get you up" before your stay, and "good to go" during it.

http://www.pvscene.com/

Hotels/resorts located in the southern part of the Hotel Zone, Downtown, and South Side will put you closest to (walking distances from) the nightlife actions of Vallarta.

Happy planning!

Hockeytown USA
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

I realy think that most of PV is fine for your needs. The worst case scenario is your a 10 minute $5 cab ride from the nightlife. You don't want to go to Nuevo Vallarta - that's too far away.

Edited: 19 December 2009, 21:13
Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

Thanks guys...No Nuevo..OK

BTW Bruce- Go Pennguins!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

PVR is not a hot bed for all inclusive sorry to say. PVR is a destination that gives a huge variety in dinning by visiting the countless restaurants in the area. I guess what I am trying to say is I am affraid you might find the all inclusives in the PVR area sub-par to what your use too? I can't relate to your all inclusive experiences in Cancun, sorry. In the 20 plus years the wife and I have gone to PVR, we hear very little one way or the other about all inclusives in the PVR area. Matter of fact, the wife and I have very little all inclusive experience ourselves. But last year we did go to the Punta Cana in the Domincan Republic and found out how great that plan really can be. My only concern is you'll go to PVR and find the all inclusive experience there not up to your expectation? Hope this helps?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

I see others have posted maps from Vallarta info (JR's site). That's great, because you can scroll up and down Here it is again,

http://vallarta-info.com/outerlimits.html

The maps labelled "downtown" and "the southside" are where you should be looking. The walk between one and other is 20 minutes or so. And of course, cabs are available, and very reasonable.

Disfrutelo!

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

For all inclusive take a look at Dreams just south of town.

map

http://vallartainfo.com/conchas.html

or Golden Crown Paradise in the hotel zone

map

http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html

Both are about a 50 peso taxi trip to where the action is, even less by bus.

Big difference from Cancun is Puerto Vallarta is a foodie paradise with literally hundreds of eateries, so if you are not locked into AI there are many different options available.

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long time Cancun Traveler with a ??? ot 3

Thank you all.

When at an AI, I NEVER feel locked in. Its for the booze..: ) I'll admit when on Vaca., I drink alot.

Cancun too, has tons of eateries which I go too.

I usually just eat breakfast at the resort, but in Cancun Non AI resorts charge $7-15 per drink, so I go AI cuz i LOVE to party around the pool all day, playing volleyball and such, then nap and then dinner out.

Again, thanks so much...Terry