We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

Hey gang anybody know if I will have an issue with security? I put an extra i in Michael. My Visa and drivers license are correct though. I've heard that normally one or 2 letters does not make a big deal. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,956 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

After the Christmas Day festivities, everything matters now.

Call your airline, get the ticket changed ASAP.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

Ya only problem is Expedia will cancel the flight then try and rebook and charge a penalty to boot... flight was just about full. I read on some other boards that it should not be an issue.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

Lot's of gambles in life. This is one.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,956 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

You could gamble with it, or you could raise enough of a ruckus with Expedia that they change the ticket.

That's the way I'd go - either that or ask them for the reasons why they won't in writing, so you can present that at the airport during your body cavity search and secondary security screenings...

Cheers! (-;

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

My passport has my full name - first, last and 2 middle names. When booking a trip, up to this point I have never used anything other than abbreviated first name and 1 middle initial along with last name. That changes right now.

For sure, after Mr Toasty Testicles tried to entertain the passengers on that NWA flight, you will be rinning a risk.

You could always say that's how your first name is spelled in Finland. . .

Minnesota
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

LOL Yes I will get to the airport real real early! FCOL thats what ya get for typing stuff at 5:30am in the morning!!!!

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

Mmmm - where does Expedia come into this?? Okay perhaps I'm blind but I didn't see anything in the original message about Expedia?

Personally - I wouldn't sweat it an awful lot. I realize all this security hype and craziness makes one super vigilant as no one wants to miss their PV trip for sure. But if you have two pieces of photo ID, one being your passport, and one has a mispelled name due some DS boo-booing (okay it was you but whatever . . . ) I wouldn't worry greatly.

If you have any problem, I think it will be re-entering the US of A - I'm pretty darn sure it won't happen entering Mex. And how bad could it be having to stay in PV a day or more longer? :-)

I think this was Zi not PV - but a couple of years ago my passport had expired and I couldn't get a replacement quick enuf for the trip so I got this Certified Birth Cert to "prove" my citizenship. We get to Zi + Immigration. Officer spends like 5+ minutes over my DH's passport which was all in order and just fine, my docs are sitting on the counter ready for her inspection. She doesn't even LOOK at it - didn't even pick it up! $70.00 later (cost of Cert B of C) yet DH whose 'stuff' is all in order and valid she holds up (to the annoyance of all the passengers waiting behind us in line) for no reason at all. Go figure.

And then there was another time when I went to Zi thru Calgary originating in Comox. All the way down and all the way back to Calgary with no issues. Going thru security for my flight from Calgary to Comox the security persona said I had to put my lighter in a plastic baggie. Mmmm Okay - so I did that and continued thru security and out the end of that, moving to the smoking lounge where I removed my lighter from it's oh so secure plastic baggie, lit my cigarette and continued on with my life. Go figure.

This last trip (though it's been with me over the last 5-7 trips on every occasion) there was an issue over my little maybe 1/2 oz bottle of Purell in my purse. Oh Please. I just smile and go along with all the idiocy now. It isn't worth the hassle. I guess these peeps try to do their best in an ever changing troublesome job. But much of it is waaaay stupid.

4 times running (that's 16 years folks!) my husband has had his name mis-spelled on his passport. 4 TIMES. We just give up + let go with a 'whatever' attitude. It has never caused us a problem but it is surely annoying that they can't spell your name right!

I've gone off on a little rant here, I know. Security (or lack thereof) make me crazy.

My point is (finally) that I really don't think you need be concerned or more specifically, that no matter how hard you try to have everything absolutely perfect, if life decides its your time to be hassled, then I guess that will happen. Just relax, don't get uptight and go have a Marg. :-)

Have a great trip!

Ciao Holly

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

North,

Taken from the TSA website:

Q. If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

A. Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch list.

Due to difference in boarding pass systems, boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences should not impact your travel. You should ensure that the name provided when booking your travel matches the government ID that you will use when traveling. Small differences between the passenger's ID the passenger's reservation information, and the boarding pass (such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, hyphens or apostrophes) should not cause a problem for the passenger.

Shouldn't be a problem.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

Awesome job Kat!

I have my middle initial missing from my boarding passes, Orbitz didn't use it when booking my flights, so I decided to "white knuckle" it to see what would happen. Needless to say your contribution was very timely.

Thank You,

Dean

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mispelled first name on ticket heading down Feb 10th 5 days!

I had the same issue recently - My ta spelled my first name "Kieth." I had no problems at the airports.