We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

off season travel

Prince George...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
off season travel

I was just wondering if you went to puerto vallarta during the low season if there is still lots going on in the form of tours, malecon, nightlife and such

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: off season travel

Not sure what months you are referring to for "off season", but we have been in November and January and,while there are less people, have always found lots to do. Malecon seems to be busy enuff whenever we've been there. In January we were told that some tours would not go if not enough people signed on, but it was no problem. November is our favourite month to go.

Mentioned in this post
Malecon
Malecon
568 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: off season travel

There's really no off-season in Puerto Vallarta these days, that things would be totally closed down or quiet.

Summer is technically "low season" like for hotel rates. Weather is hotter and more humid, with more possibility of rain, but town's still very busy.

-suze

TX
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: off season travel

We actually prefer going in summer, which we do consider to be "low season" because fewer tourists are in town - especially after the Mexican kids go back to school in August. When we were there in August of '09, we felt as though we kinda had PV "all to ourselves" in a sense - and we enjoyed it. Of course, that's not such a good thing for many businesses, but we selfishly liked being able to spend time chatting indepth with waiters and bartenders at our favorite places. There is a BIG difference in the crowds from August to January, the two months we have been in PV.

Pricing on accommodations in low season is, as the vendors say, "almost free." Well, not really, but certainly much more affordable than at other times of the year - and that makes it a very attractive season for us to go.

Edited: 11 February 2010, 15:41
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: off season travel

Some restaurants will close for a couple of weeks in the low season, but with so many, it's not a problem.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: off season travel

We LOVE PV any time of year and the feel of low season is very different than high season - not better or worse, just a different experience - Low season is super hot & humid & for me, makes me slow things down a bit (not necessarily a bad thing) - beaches are crowded both low and high season but high season seems to be more Americans & Canadians & low seems to be more Mexican nationals - both crowds are great!! Low season i HAVE to have a bedroom with A/C but high season find it completely unnecessary - ceiling fan is all you need. And as others have said, low season can offer some great bargains! Enjoy whatever season you decide upon!

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: off season travel

i usually go in june. i went this christmas. i did notice some restaurants have never been open on my june stays---but plenty others are.

i loved going at christmas because it was more comfortable to explore and we never used the air in our condo. however i'm an ocean person and this year it was pretty rough so i was limited there. it also was more crowded but not uncomfortably so. the beach was super crowed.

in june--i get my wish of being in the ocean more and it is more peaceful, less crowded--but my exploring is limited due to the heat.

in conclusion, there is no bad time to go to pv

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,873 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: off season travel

Even 20 years ago there were plenty of places open and tours operating. We could never have done it all or eaten everywhere way back then. No worries, you'll find less tourists and great service. True, you'll move slower in the heat, but the water is great.

8. Re: off season travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2010, 08:15