We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WestJet

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
WestJet

any tips./ information ? Flying with them for the first time.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WestJet

I've never had a problem with their flights. Plus they are the last airline around our neck of the woods that still doesn't charge the hostage fee on checked bags.

Seatback televisions, good service. If I were able to get good prices on them for every trip I'd always take them.

Last October I flew to PV on the day they switched over their website reservation systems and there were delays and snags. Within a week of getting home I had an apology letter from the airline and a coupon for $50 off my next WJ flight, anywhere they fly...no conditions attached. I can even apply it to a seat sale.

They take customer service seriously.

castlegar BC
Level Contributor
500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WestJet

Always fly out of kelowna, direct to PV, no problems. A few delays sometimes, but that happens in all airports, i think, and not subject ,or usual fault of one airline inparticular. Only have ever used Westjet, but my friends used other airline, and flew the same day as me, and for some unknown reason, luggage was lost on direct flight..lol. IMO, would go in open cockpit, snowy season if i could be back in PV on the beach! Its less then 5 hours to another world and thats awesome, so plane trips are just a means to an end for me, and worth the extra $$$$ for the direct flight from westjet!..have fun.

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WestJet

Westjet is owned by Southwest Airlines so you know you are in good hands!!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WestJet

WestJet is not owned by Southwest Airlines. It has a codeshare agreement with them for flights in certain areas of the US but it is not owned by them and never has been.

WJ is 100% Canadian owned and operated, born in Calgary as a low cost carrier alternative to Scare Canada and has expanded to become an international carrier. The corporate head offices are in my hometown.

Edited: 15 February 2010, 21:20
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WestJet

nice to hear this info, we also are going with west jet for teh 1st time. teh only things i uess i was surpriesed at hearing was that they charge for the movie and you don't get a "boxed meal" on the plane like other charters...

I am having a difficult time upgrading my package with them right now, they say it's not available to do so??? but on thier website 3 room categories pop up! I'm paying more for the upgrade, so why tell me no rooms are available when you can buy on the website? I am thinking that maybe i'll look into cancelling my package and then re book? if i can..... this didn't make my 1st experience a nice one so far :(

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: WestJet

Not sure I understand what you're saying lin...have you bought a package already with WestJet Vacations, or are you trying to upgrade a package you bought elsewhere but is using WJ?

Can you please clarify? Your post isn't very clear.

I should note that WJ Vacations is run separately from WJ flight reservations (what the OP is asking about)...and right now WJ flight reservations has been partially contracted out to some of Travelocity's operators because of volume, while they continue to expand their customer service base. Let's just say talking to the Travelocity CS people and then talking to WJ operators is like night and day, and not a positive kudo to Travelocity...

EDIT: ps - all airlines charge for inflight movies if they have PVT (in-seat television systems). Which WJ does. All airlines except charters also charge for box meals too...this isn't odd.

Edited: 15 February 2010, 21:42
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WestJet

yes i guess it's strange to me b/c i have always travelled with charters, never a charge. never been on a flight with a t.v on each seat either....

i guess i should made my post more clear, we booked through westjet vacations, already. We then decided that we wanted to upgrade to royal suites b/c we finally decided we could spend the extra $$$. So i asked adn my t.a. also asked and they said that there were no rooms available for our time frame. but you go on their website for same flight and there is 3 different room catergories listed for sale. my t.a went through all steps to book and it was bookable. so why are they saying no it isn't?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: WestJet

Jolee

You are going to like Westjet if you have been travelling on the cattle charters in the past. Seats are bigger and luggage allowance is great.

Lin

Would I be correct in assuming you are staying at the Palladium? Have you tried contacting the hotel directly about an upgrade? May work out in your favor...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: WestJet

I think that's probably a question your travel agent should be asking them. It's possible that the availabilities are for new bookings but not upgrades (packages often work this way).

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WestJet

Good info Everyone. thanks.

yes, Sunshine 18.. Cattle charters were the way we always went.. Lol, except for last trip.. We tried the USA route., and although USAirways was fine, the changing planes was scary.. so don't want to go that way, this trip.

They did have MORE leg room, and nice crews and were on time.

Had to pay for suitcases and food, so now I'm used to that.

Nice WJ don't charge for suitcases YET?

Lin:... lile PVJennybean says... I would wait till you arrive at the Palladium, Have heard that is Less $$$ that way.