We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

Hello all,

We took our first trip to PVR last November and had a great experience(vill del palmar) including our direct flight on Mexicana (SFO-PVR). Alaska/Horison is offering direct flights for $306 and it looks too good to pass up. Can anybody offer any concerns with Alaska? I have a 24 hour hold of 7 seats.

At the moment Mexicana is slightly more but require booking thru Expedia for the lower price. I have called Mexicana and tried to book thru them direct to no avail last week.

Thanks in advance,

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

Alaska should be just fine AS LONG as it is a direct flight.

If the return flight changes at LAX it can be a real pain.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

I've flown Alaska ex LA several times. I can't compare with Mexicana as I've never flowen with them. I have no problems with Alaska finding them pretty much like any other airline I've flown Seats are fine, air staff generally fine, have had delayed baggage a couple of times but thankfully that was on the way home and not the way down. I think the baggage thing is more a result of LAX rather than Alaska as its the only place I've had a problem baggage wise.

I understand Mexicana serves full meals unlike most airlines today so I guess that's a plus for that choice but if Alaska works, its only a 3 or so hour flight from SFO so I would go for it.

My 2 Pesos, :-)

Holly

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,533 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

We have used Alaska many times and the flights have all been fine, nothing too bad or good jumps out at me. I don't like the baggage fees but understand that many US airlines have them.

Friends just used Mexicana and LOVED their flights, free full meals and great customer service. I am not sure if they had to pay baggage fees but as I didn't hear any complients about it I am assuming they had none??

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

Thanks all,

Yes, direct from PVR to SFO....prerequisite with 4 kids going!!!

Alaska flight times get us to PV a little sooner in the day and back home a little earlier into SF....a positive.

Mexicana has very good; free beer, free bags ontime...etc.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

I've flown Alaska many many times to PV from Seattle (I usually have to transfer SFO or LAX). No issues more than being 1-hr. late for take off on occasion.

That said, I do prefer a Mexican airlines (Aeromexico or Mexicana) because they are more fun and it feels like you're on vacation already! -suze

Anaheim Hills, CA
Level Contributor
494 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

We always flew with Alaska until about 2 years ago and had no choice but to take Mexicana and now that is all we take!! My husband loves the free beer and I love the FREE BAGS!!! They always have good prices and times out of LAX.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
435 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

I agree with the others, I'd prefer Mexicana free bags, meals, and booze. But no huge complaints with Alaska other than you have to pay for your bags and they give you crackers and soda or juice. I base it on the price, if Alaska is cheaper after you factor in baggage fees then why not take them.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

If you book online right now on Alaska SFO - PVR its 270 with taxes.... i might book now too : )

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

I've flown both and prefer Mexicana. I paid $303 for my May SFO-PVR flights.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
857 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SFO -PVR..Opinions on Alaska vs Mexicana

Hubby and I are in the minority on this one, we prefer Alaska - don't pay for bags due to airline status and we don't care about the free food/booze for a three hour flight. Have flown both to Mexico multiple times and in our experience the customer service was better on Alaska and the seats were more comfortable.

Either airline is fine for these short flights though.....