We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regulars- does this sound likely?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Regulars- does this sound likely?

I read this blog entry of a local DJ this morning:

QUOTE:

Trip itself was very relaxing, beautiful surroundings, lots of fun. Way home was brutal, detained at the Puerto Vallarta Airport, passports taken twice....and finally came home to stolen/wrecked luggage. Pretty upsetting. A lot of my things either destroyed or stolen (including camera, sadly, no pics). Clothing, glasses, makeup, you name it. Ruined. Not a pleasant experience. I've heard of sketchy situations happening at that particular airport but have been lucky thus far in travelling. Scary.... and EXTREMELY glad to be home. One of the worst days of my life.

UNQUOTE

From here:

www.c95.com/blog/shauna-foster/i-am-so-behind

What do you all think? I have never heard of any 'sketchy situations' happening at this airport. And it sure sounds a bit vage- which carrier was she one? What reason did they give for detaining her?

Hmmmm.

Horsham...
Level Contributor
843 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

We've never had any problems at the PV airport. As far as the items stolen from her luggage, well, shame on her for even putting her camera in her checked luggage! IMHO, anyone putting anything valuable in checked luggage is taking a big risk no matter where you travel.

TX
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

"Passports taken twice" - ? I don't even know what that means. You are requested to SHOW your passport a few times at various checkpoints, but TAKEN? I don't get it.

I've never had a problem with lost or stolen luggage anytime, anywhere. I don't put valuables in my checked luggage, not because I worry about theft, but because IF the luggage is ever lost, so are my valuables. IMO, this blogger's details and too sketchy to form an opinion one way or another as to what actually happened to her.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

Good grief , I wrote 'vage' and not vague...sorry!

The whole thing just reeked in a fishy way to me....JMO.

I agree cameras and any other valuables should always be in your carry-on and on your person....I thought everyone knew that.

There is just not enough info given...passports taken twice? Yeah, they take them, look at them, give them back....lol. Was she asked for a mordida, did she pay one....nope, not enough facts. :(

edit: totally agree, BB.

I am always torn when I hear of peoples' bad experiences in Mexico. On one hand, I want the truth so I know what is what...on the other hand, I detest half-baked fear mongering. Not sure about this story.

Edited: 25 February 2010, 16:37
SoCal
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

We've travel to PV twice a year and except for the usual wear and tear from baggage handlers and conveyor belts you get everywhere have never had any damage or theft to our luggage.

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

" ...on the other hand, I detest half-baked fear mongering. Not sure about this story. "

Blogs usually have a comment button at the end of each story. Perhaps you want to do so. :-)

I agree itsa kinda duuumb to place valuables in checked luggage.

Hasta

2 More Sleeps Holly

TX
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

I suppose theft from baggage IS possible ... but I can't imagine when airport workers would find the TIME to go rummaging through bags for "the good loot." They are incredibly busy people working at a frenetic pace at a madhouse of an international airport. A recent poster complained in this forum about baggage scales being off and said that when s/he complained, the airline employees "just sit there and laugh at you." I haven't observed any airline employee in PV who would have the luxury of TIME to "just sit there and laugh" at anyone - let alone go rifling through the thousands of bags that flow through that place on a daily basis with the intent of stealing from them.

TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

Have yet to have a problem anything close to this traveling to PVR - and we visited there 6 times last year. If it is true, it is unfortunate.

calgary
Level Contributor
279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

I don't know why this is an issue, it's one person's story of their experience in PV. I don't know why this forum is so popular for people who like to question others' experiences, whether it's a hotel or whatever.

The person is probably not that smart, but who knows maybe its true. Maybe they don't travel much and didn't relaize they were doing something wrong. Just because neither of us have never had this problem in Mexican airports doesn't mean it didn't happen to this person. Why would they lie about it on a personal blog? Again, who cares?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,779 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

First question that comes to my mind is, if you were detained, what were you trying to sneak through?

I'm constantly amazed at PVR the things people believe they are entitled to go through security with just because they think they're in a third world country.

In 18 trips to PV nothing has ever gone missing from my luggage, and other than the usual wear/tear the luggage itself comes through just fine. Airports in Canada and the US however, I have had pieces broken, torn, missing shoes and clothing.

And bluntly put, if this woman was foolish enough to pack her camera in her checked bag, then she isn't what I would call a savvy traveler - or even a smart one...even when the carry on restrictions were in place you were still allowed to bring your camera in the cabin! There is no way in Hades I'd put my camera in my checked bag!

Edit: auyeah, if you don't approve of the thread then hit inappropriate post instead of lecturing.

Edited: 25 February 2010, 16:55
10. Re: Regulars- does this sound likely?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 17:05