We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish?

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
102 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish?

Is there a specific jellyfish season, or a time when they are really bad in PV?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish?

There isn't specific season, they have a tendancy propagate when the water gets warmer along with the presence of alge however.

When I was there in mid January I saw no evidence, and had only heard of one minor inccedent. (I think I would personaly swim with sharks) !

Other Ops have posted about a repelant spray that may work, I didn't have time to try it.

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish?

We have seen jellyfish in late Feb. and early March.

Wi
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish?

FIrst poster is right on. When are you thinking of going? We just got back as we spent the first week of March in PV and Bucerias and we swam alot and never saw any jellyfish which is a good thing.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish?

When we were there either last May or September, there were dead jelly fish all over the beach foe one day at Dreams. I can't remember which month it was. The next day there were a couple of them and then none for the rest of our stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish?

My youngest was stung several times playing in the water at Los Muertos Beach in both April and May. Doesn't seem to stop him from hitting the water, though!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,470 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish?

They are rarely around in mid-summer (where I'm most familiar with the ocean) because it's very calm waters. In my experience they seem to be around most when the water is rough and they are washed in from further out. I always walk the beach to look for dead ones. No dead ones on the beach is a good indication of the likelihood of them being in the water.

7. Re: Jellyfish?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 06:18