We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

This is our first trip to PV and we really want to pack light, being it's only a 5 day trip. My question is, do I need to pack dress pants/shoes for my hubby for dinners out (we are not at an AI)or is it mostly casual, as in shorts/polo shirt/sandals? Our must try restaurants I have noted from other threads on this forum are El Arrayan, The Blue Shrimp, LeKliff. Do these have a dress code? Any info is helpful, thanks!

Mentioned in this post
El Arrayan
El Arrayan
845 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
The Blue Shrimp
The Blue Shrimp
1,691 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
United States
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

Very casual absolutely no dress code anywhere. We were there for an extended time last winter and I never wore anything but capris out to dinner. One pair of khakis for men and capri pants for women. Basically we lived in flip flops/sandals for 2 months so these was fine even when we went to the nicer restaurants. Many times men were in dressy shorts.

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

Thanks for your post! The luggage will be lighter for sure ;>)

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

I thought certain restaurants had dress codes? Can't remember which ones now or whether they were in actual hotels, but I remember that men had to wear long pants and closed shoes and it said dresses for women. I wish I remember where I saw it! I know years ago in Mazatlan we went to dinner at the El Cid and my boyfriend was sent away because he was wearing dress shorts and shoes (not sandals). They made him go back to our hotel (which was not closeby) and change into long pants. If you are going to a more upscale restaurant - I would check with them first. Just a thought.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
oak park, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

i believe bogarts has a dress code similar to this description.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

I agree with the above. Just returned on November 14 and it is very casual. Funny, my wife gave me this trip for my 50th. birthday. I told her I wanted to take her out for at least one nice dinner at one of the higher end restaurants. Ran into a neighbour where we were staying and he kinda pooh poohed me with the restaurants. Hey senior you are in Mexico eat at the local resturants, you can eat at the high end restaurants at home. You know he was really right. There are some great restaurants, lovely views and food well presented, but I can can pay those kind of prices at home. My wife and I had some great meals. Nothing fancy, but great food and cheap. Most of our dinners were under $20 US$ with tip and booze. The resturants were causual and had lots of atmosphere. For our last night we went to a great local resturant and had the house specialty. It was two grilled lobsters, about 8 grilled large prawns, mahi mahi, vegetables, rice all the trimmings, desert and drinks for $55.00 including tip. There are some real bargins around. Again, I live in Vancouver Canada and we have some great high end resturants which we frequent, but really you don't need to spend that kind of money in Mexico to have a nice meal. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,991 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

We saw a man in Bogarts in shorts and a Hawaiian type shirt last week.

In my experience, as long as you look decent (shoes, shirt, no bathing suits) you wouldn't be refused entry. However, I still think that pants are better than shorts in the evening in a dressy-type restaurant.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

hey acdrty,

What's the name of the restaurant where you had your grilled lobster, shrimp, mahi mahi feast?

Crown Point, Indiana
Level Contributor
95 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

Your comments have all been very helpful. We will take those pair of dress pants with just in case ;>)

But I have heard the same thing about PV's food, find the local inexpensive little places to eat. We will definately be doing that!

But yeah...where was that seafood feast you had for so cheap?? Yum!

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

islaluvr, not sure which area you're staying in, but we loved Portobello's in the marina area. It's Italian (I know that's odd in Mexico), but it was sooo good.

There's also Victor's in the Marina for Mexican.

Both are casual.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver
Level Contributor
154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening dress attire for PV?? Formal or mostly Casual??

Restaurant was Cafe de Olla, right in old town. We made reservations, but it really didn't seem to matter. Was a line up every night, but not too long of a wait. We didn't go there for breakfast, but it looked good also. Again, restaurant was not over the top, quite casual, but we had a great time and food. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe de Olla
Cafe de Olla
1,403 Reviews
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico