We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Manitoba
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

I am planning a trip to PV for next January. I am considering the Melia, Velas Vallarta or Dreams. Which might be a better choice? I am travelling with my husband, we have no children. We are looking for a resort with good restaurants, an upbeat atmosphere and evening entertainment and also a good drink menu. I have read reviews on all three places but am undecided. We do not like gourmet food, just basic things like a steakhouse (with chicken, steak and ribs on the menu), pizza, and a good breakfast buffet (with bacon, eggs, omletts, etc.) I am also wondering if any of these place have vendors in the evening onsite selling goods? I have only stayed at a RIU resort in Cancun and they had all of these things I mentioned above. However, I have not read that many great reviews about the RIU's in Neuvo Vallarta. Any recommendations?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

If you're going to compare the RIUs in Nuevo Vallarta with hotels such as Velas Vallarta or Dreams PV, you should really be focusing on the RIU Palace Pacifico, which is the newer, higher-end offering.

A quick review of the following link doesn't show too many negative comments for the RIU Palace:

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g679578-d1097502…

Manitoba
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

I would actually prefer to stay at either the Melia, Velas Vallarta or Dreams as they are closer to downtown and everything.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,789 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

You are on the right track in wanting to be where you can easily explore Puerto Vallarta which is much harder to do in Nuevo Vallarta as you're "out of the loop" up there. It's like this...Cancun is known for it's resorts, PV is known for it's active town day and night..... surrounded by places to stay..... and secondarily......some have a resort attitude....if that makes sense. Nuevo does have that glitsy Cancun resort setting, but most of the ones in or nearer PV are less "fancy" (but still very nice) as compared to the Cancun style resorts and might not be as active EVERY evening as compared to what you found in the Cancun resorts. Also most of the vendors in PV, if not all, are active during daylight but not so much after the sun sets.. Others can advise you on these three resorts, but that's the basics on what you can expect in Nuevo and what to expect from PV resorts.

Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

The Melia is very family friendly, so if it is just the 2 of you you might not enjoy the Melia. The Velas is lovely and close to Marina Vallarta where there are lots of nice. small restaurants. The bus stops right out front of the hotel and an easy ride downtown.

5. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 07:16