We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

Michigan
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

We've stayed at the Fiesta Americana our last two visits and loved it there. However, after strolling Los Muertos beach we fell in love with the area and are looking for a condo/small hotel with a restaurant and pool ON the beach. All the condos I've looked at have rooftop pools only. Are there any where the pool is actually at beach level so we can easily go back and forth (and not too far south so we can walk into town). Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

The only places along Los Muertos that have pools on ground level are Tropicana Hotel, Playa Los Arcos Hotel, and that gawdawful Monstrosity de Agua condo.

None qualify as small, especially not the last one. Trop and PLA aren't as big as hotel zone resorts, but they aren't really tiny either.

Condos put pools on the roofs for several reasons - not the least of which is to keep sand out of them when the winds/tides pick up. That and I'm sure it's cheaper to have your pools heated by sunlight than by motor...which costs dough. Dough that comes from owner maintenance fees, which most condo owners here will probably tell you they try to not unnecessarily increase.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 15:57
Northern Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

Playa Los Arcos, San Marino, Tropicana, just to name a few. Molina De Agua condos, I believe Plaza Dorado's pool is beach level also. There are more, take a look on vrbo.com.

Good Luck!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

We have also been considering a move into town for our next trip. Tropicana may be our choice for these reasons.... We do like to be able to fix our own breakfast or brunch and the Tropicana offers rooms with kitchenettes and an ocean view which I am used to at our other place. Mainly we'll sit at the beach, but they do have a ground level pool. We also like a little hotel service and a bar for the social aspect. They are located at the south end of Los Muertos, the reviews seem good, it's a simple friendly place, not as fancy as Fiesta Americana but most people seem very happy with it.

My opinion of Los Arcos from paying attention to the forum is that if people get the right room they are very happy..... but if not, which can happen even though they reserved a certain view or accomodation, they naturally aren't happy. So we're considering the Tropicana since most people get what they reserved.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

Molino de Agua and Plaza Dorada are condos with ground level pools, but the latter probably gets no sun until well after noon due to its location on the west side of the building. A rooftop pool will get sun a few hours prior.

We stay at a condo with a rooftop pool, and I guess I've never had the need to jump out of it and walk into town.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,386 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

"We stay at a condo with a rooftop pool, and I guess I've never had the need to jump out of it and walk into town."

Heh, I wonder if anyone has tried! LOL

I did forget about Plaza Dorada...and I guess maybe San Marino has two pools that are almost ground level, but only one gets a fair amount of sun. But if someone was used to the amenities of the Fiesta Americana, SM would be a very large step down.

gracej - just note that the hotels on Los Muertos for the most part are considered mid level budget places. Simple, sometimes a little more rustic, definitely not mega-resort type places and they don't offer the levels of things that are offered in bigger places. Condos are privately owned in this area and very abundant, and offer a wider variety of choices, and quite often are more "upscale" than the hotels in the area, even with rooftop pools. Just some food for thought.

Michigan
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

I'm will definately look into the condos mentioned (vrbo?) as well as the Tropicana. It sounds like it has everything we're looking for as well . . . kitchenette, ocean view rooms, ground level pool and some services for the social aspect is a plus! Just wondering how long of a walk into town from the south end of Los Muertos?

Michigan
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

PVJennybean - I meant we want to go from the pool to the beach, not from the pool to town! LOL. We're really looking forward to a more simple place so we can enjoy the local flavor this time. Although the Fiesta Americana was wonderful, it just feels too big and impersonal for us. A small condo complex (with beach level pool and restaurant ) might give us the best of both worlds!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,386 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

What part of town are you inquiring about?

VRBO - Vacation Rentals By Owner

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,048 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

You can see Tropicana on JR's map.

http://vallartainfo.com/south.html

We usually take the bus from south of PV into town and end up on the east end of Basilo Badillo so we do a lot of walking anyway. I would say Tropicana to the center of the Malecon might be a 15 minute walk. We usually spend a lot of time on the south side somewhere which is 0 to 10 from Tropicana, just depends on where you're going. We've also considered the other condos on Los Muertos too but maybe for another trip, it's a hard decision to make! We love to walk all over PV so it's not that much of an issue for me, then there's always a cab which is cheap if you're already staying in town.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 17:12
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo w/Pool On the Beach?

A friend is renting a condo at Playa Bonita on Los Muertos this fall and in looking at some photos, I think I saw that the pool is at beach level....rather, on the first level of the hotel, still elevated off the beach, but easily accessible to same. You should be able to find some of those condos on www.vrbo.com or just Google Playa Bonita. I agree with Ted's comment though, that when pools are lower level, you do have to wait till the sun passes over the building which would be around 11am-12pm. Anyway, it's another option.