We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight upgrade question

Amarillo Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Flight upgrade question

Headed to PVR this weekend. Wanted to upgrade to business/first class on the flight to PVR for the wife and I. Is it possible to do this at check in? How much would it cost? We are flying continental airlines out of houston.

thanks!

Orlando
Level Contributor
60 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight upgrade question

I checked with Continental, I am taking the sme flight in two weeks, and they told me I could upgrade and the check in desk. They did not tell me the cost, I know you can do it.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,503 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight upgrade question

Every airline has different pricing for upgrades I've found.

BTW, you should monitor seat availability online for your flight now - no point in rushing to be at the airport earlier to try and nab better seats if there are none available to start with.

If there are seats, try to be at check-in as early as you can be...upgrades tend to go fast at the desk.

Amarillo Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight upgrade question

thanks for the info!

have a great trip jglopga!

Yardley...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight upgrade question

i'm a continental frequent flyer. unless you're upgrading with points be prepared to pay the going rate. go to their website, enter your flight info and check seat status to see if there are any 1st class seats still available. if there are, check the pricing. that will give you an idea because it's not cheap. even though it is low season airlines have cut flights and there are less seats available. good luck!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight upgrade question

If you belong to their frequent flyer program and all your info is up to date including your passport, dob, etc, you often get offered an upgrade if you check in online (starting 24 hours before flight time).

The amount bounces around according to how many seats in first/business there are. Other than their highest level frequent flyers who can nab the upgrades several days out, the airlines often sell the upgrades before they give them away to the lower level frequent flyers now to make some extra money.

I was offered the upgrade for less than $200 each way earlier this year.

Edited: 15 June 2010, 23:28
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight upgrade question

We did this a couple of times on this leg--last minute--this past spring. . It was $99 per person--and well worth it. The food was excellent. Truly excellent. It's often not available, but if you can get it, go for it.

Stratford...
Level Contributor
42 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight upgrade question

Also, a good perk of up grading to first class, is that checked baggage is free! I know that with US Air, you can upgrade for only $100 up to 24hrs before the flight. So in actuality, it only cost $75 because of the free checked bag or less if you take 2 bags.

I usually call the Airline "exactly" on the 24 hour mark as to ward off others doing the same. I know traveling from the New York area..... that 5 1/2 hour flight is alot shorter in a comfy wider seat.

Amarillo Texas
Level Contributor
194 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight upgrade question

i was able to upgrade to first class online with continental 24hrs before the flight for $48 per person, easy as pie!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,503 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight upgrade question

Nice grab...good price too!

I've picked up the upgrade on Alaska for $50USD at check-in before...it's nice every so often to do that.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight upgrade question

The other thing, that is of interest perhaps, is that when we last flew Continental in April, they were charging for exit row seats. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was something like $45 per person to upgrade on the PV to Houston leg and $68 per person on the Houston to Toronto, Canada leg. This was one way. (These are just approximate, not exact figures).

If I do this again, I will ask the lady at the check-in counter how full the flight is. If it's not full, you can just sit in the exit row seats for free (That's what we noticed on the PV to Houston flight which was not full).