We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

California
Level Contributor
71 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

We are interested in canopy zip line tour + mule ride. Outdoor Adventures offers one, but it is 6 hours long, which might be too physical for our family.

I saw the "Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour" by Puerto Vallarta Cruise Excursions/Island Marketing Ltd., but could not find reviews on that. Any opinions/feedback on this particular tour? Thanks!

Superior Tours Vallarta
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

I wouldn't worry too much about the Outdoor Adventure tour being too physical. Out of the 6 hours, you'll spend about 1.5 hrs on a large, high speed zodiac-style boat (half getting from the Nuevo marina to Boca de Tomatlan, half returning; great fun, excellent views of PV, potential to see whales / dolphins), 1.5 hrs on the monster trucks that take you up and down to the site (including a stop at a tequila factory, if you ask the guide and there's time; interesting to see the vegetation change between sea level and the mountains), and another hour+ for safety training, gearing up, a light lunch, and reviewing photos. The mule ride & ziplining come in somewhere around 2 hours or so. In the end, you're actually sitting down for a good portion of the day - but it's a lot different from sitting on your sofa!! It makes for a great day - just go and enjoy, you won't regret it.

Edited: 18 July 2010, 21:47
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
62 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

Totally agree with the above but the other one you mentioned is probably the Canopy River Zipline tour which also has an optional mule trek included.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

And that site calls a mule a donkey which shows a lot of ignorance.

Citrus Heights...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

I also have the same question. I'm taking my four kids to Puerto in early August, ages 16 to 25, and this is the one tour they want to do. Everyone is excited to do this Outdoor Adventure tour. I'm starting to get cold feet...or is it wet feet? I'm wondering how strenuous the "rappelling down" the cliff part is. I have a tender left elbow from a compression fracture a couple years ago. How much upper body am I going to need to get down the side of that rock. Lol Should I double up on the IBuprofin before I go? lol My kids are not going to let me get out of doing this one with them. Sweet Jesus Lord help me!

lisa

Edited: 21 July 2010, 06:16
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,370 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

I don't know anything about this Outdoor Adventure tour or who it's with. What I can tell you is that with a good company you will probably have a lot of fun and feel very accomplished when you're finished. OT-Bound is correct, not every minute is physical on these types of tours.

Lisa Ann -

In March I did ziplining and rapelling with my 24 year old son in Costa Rica for the first time. Like you I was nervous. The morning before we left for the tour my hands were shaking while having my morning coffee! I am a physical person so I was pretty surprised that I was so nervous. I was mainly worried about standing on a platform high in the trees and looking down. I gave myself a good talking too because I really wanted to share this with my son. Once there I had no problem at all. I didn't look down when on the platform but did while zipping. I ended up loving ziplining and wished there were more zips than provided!

The rapelling was more about controlling your speed, most people don't let themselves go fast enough which... isn't that fast. Your weight is supported by your own harness so your main physical function is to control your speed by allowing the rope to naturally progress through your gloved hand. They said if your hand is feeling hot through your glove, then you are holding on too tight......which might bother your tennis elbow......death grip ya know LOL, .....which isn't necessary at all. More than anything you are tensing your muscles in your arm by squeezing the ropes with your hand.

So my non-medical opinion is.....you probably won't notice your tennis elbow. But it might be a good idea to e-mail them and ask what they think just to be sure.

edit - just saw freeyes post and I agree with him too, stepping off the side is the hardest part when rapelling due to the height.

Edited: 21 July 2010, 14:33
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

OK, I was 69 when this picture was taken

vallartainfo.com/tours/VA/land/rappel.jpg

just be sure to take a set of dry clothes to change into afterwards, you will get very wet :)

Citrus Heights...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

Thanks all for responding.

I'm really wanting to share this experience with my kids. While I have no fear of heights I am concerned about my left arm not being strong enough to keep me from hitting the bottom sooner than I want to. Is there some kind of buckle or lever that controls the descending part?

JR, nice picture! Thanks for sharing.

lisa

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

It's the friction of the rope in your hand that controls your decent, not a lot required as the line goes through a device which makes it easy.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

The rope is a single line that runs from the top to the bottom. In between, it goes through a couple of friction loops that are attached to your harness. When you pull on the loose end of the rope that's below the harness, it tightens up the loops and puts the brakes on.

Rest assured that if you have issues doing this yourself, or freeze up for some reason, there is a guide holding the bottom of your rope, and if they see that you're going too fast, they'll pull on the rope to either stop you or control your descent.

In reality, it's much easier to do than it is to describe.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta Jungle Canopy Zip Line & Mule Adventure Tour

OT Bound said what I was going to say. There is a guide at the bottom who is holding onto your rope and he/she ultimately has the final control on your rope as to how fast or slow you're descending. Lisa, I think you said it was your left elbow? The only thing your left arm is going to be doing is holding onto the rope above your head, but it is not going to have to bear any weight, as your harness will be attached. And again, while you will be shown how and can guide your speed down with your right hand, that guide at the bottom is not going to let you go too fast, nor will they leave you stuck up in the air or on the side of the waterfall. I did this tour last fall and I'm an "older" woman who is not phycially fit and I had no problems at all rappelling. In fact, that tour was the most fun I've EVER had in my life!