We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, we do we stay???

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Help, we do we stay???

Hi, we are a family with 3 young children from Australia.We are coming to Mexico in January and I am totally confused about where to go.Would Los Cabos, Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarto suit a young family looking for some shopping, great seafood, nice clean beaches and culture/sight seeing.

thanks

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, we do we stay???

Well 'natch I will say Puerto Vallarta, 'cos I live here.

More restaurants and culture than the other two choices, more attractive with the jungle covered mountains coming right down to the water.

TX
Level Contributor
5,689 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, we do we stay???

I have traveled to Los Cabos numerous times and to PV, but have never been to Mazatlan. I would recommend PV over Cabo, as I think you will find a more family-oriented atmosphere in PV. Most people find they need a car in Cabo (and taxis are expensive there), but in PV public transportation is plentiful and inexpensive. I consider PV to be more charming than Cabo, with its cobblestone streets and countless colorful sights on and around the malecon, and the beaches are clean and inviting.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, we do we stay???

Since we love Puerto Vallarta, naturally we'd say PV. But consider also if you would prefer tropical versus desert. PV is very tropical, lush, mountains, rivers and waterfalls. Mazatlan is...well desert.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, we do we stay???

You might also enjoy Playa del Carmen on the Caribbean side of Mexico. We took our kids there when they were 12 and 14 and really enjoyed it. The beaches were beautiful as was the clear blue water. It's also a good starting point for tours of ancient ruins, like Chichen Itza and Tulum. There is a nearby eco-theme park, Xcaret that is great for kids.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,020 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, we do we stay???

But coming from Australia, the eastern coast of Mexico may be cost prohibitive vs. the west coast...

ohio
Level Contributor
114 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, we do we stay???

Those 3 young children are probably going to be happy no matter which place you go so look at these place to suit yourselves., the adults. They are all excellent but I believe PV gives you the ambiance of Mexico better than the others. (and the value is better; "more bang for the buck" as we Americans say!)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, we do we stay???

Thanks everyone, PV it is then (which is kind of what we where thiniking).As far as accommodation goes, we are thinking CasaMagna Marriott or Melia Puerto Vallarta. I am assuming these are out of town a little, but town can be accessed by public bus easy enough.Is there any shopping, restaurants ect near these resorts?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,020 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, we do we stay???

Both of those are in the marina area, a short bus/taxi to downtown/el centro - maybe 10 minutes down to the Malecon, give or take. See map (which you can scroll up/down to see the layout of the bay).

http://vallartainfo.com/marina.html

Of the two places you mention, Melia gets very high marks as a family resort, with lots of activities and things to keep kids entertained. I'd lean in that direction.

EDIT: please take into consideration when reading any hotel/resort reviews right now that it's summer/rainy season in PV, so anyone staying now vs. staying in January (winter/high season) is going to have a very different experience as in summer months it's hotter, more humid, rainier, and most resorts and hotels have less staff due to less guests. Just thought I'd add that free tip for you.

Edited: 11 August 2010, 23:00
9. Re: Help, we do we stay???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 08:51