We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about bugs

victoria
Level Contributor
223 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
question about bugs

Question, reading reviews on the barcelo, there is lots of talk about bug bites. My wife is quite allergic to bites and we have never experienced bites in PV before. Our these bite problems the result of being at mismaloya in the jungle or is it a summer time thing ? Were visiting the end of october and was wondering whether the bugs would be an issue at this time

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about bugs

Less bugs at the end of October, stay indoors or on a balcony at dawn and dusk, and you should be fine. Ground level and the beach at those times is not a great idea. Use repellent when you have to.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: question about bugs

Our condo is in Conchas Chinas and regardless of what time of the year we visit we always get bitten. My husband is also allergic and ended up in the emergency during one visit. I would suggest that with your wife being allergic that she puts on repellent all the time.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about bugs

It's not just the Barcelo and, with all due respect to JR, all of our bodies are different and I've spent 3 months of time in PV since last November, during the months of Nov, Dec, Apr, May, July and early August and I got eaten alive --- living in various locations and not going to the beach or into the jungle and trying to avoid bugs completely. They still got me. Why they like me now and didn't for many trips there, I have no clue.

Keep in mind, my last three trips since late November, are the only times I've ever been bitten and I've been going to PV regularly since 1983. No bites at all until Nov, 2009.

I agree with covkid that your wife needs to take all precautions. I found the sprays (OFF and Autan) to be rather messy. *Deep Woods OFF wipes* are a little easier to use, but make sure to wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.

Also all of those products have to be used every 8 hours. I was actually getting bitten in my unit (by bugs I couldn't see and a few mosquitos that I could see but they were already inside as the unit had no screens or A/C) all over my body in July. Wasn't as bad as December though, when they did get infected. That was at the Marina. First experience in PV with bug bites.

Check out the TA thread I started in April (called *Here We Go Again -- Bug Bites*) as I was very worried about my boyfriend who is also allergic, as your wife it. Numerous helpful people responded with ideas of what to do to not get bitten and also to care for the bites, afterward.

I always travel with Andantol also ---- it keeps the bites from itching (sort of) and any farmacia in PV can supply it. I also took Vitamin B1 (which is the B-vitamin suggested in that thread) that is supposed to keep you from being bitten as it supposedly makes you taste bad. Sort of. I did everything on the last two trips and still got bitten but at least it wasn't as bad as December.

Good luck. Be prepared and do a search on this forum as the issue has been discussed and many ideas have been shared. It's a matter of collecting the ideas and figuring out what works for you. Hope you have a good trip and that the bugs don't become a problem.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about bugs

Did you make any dietary changes in 2009 ?

I've always been attractive to mosquitos, I get bit, the person next to me - nothing. I still get an occasional bite, but maybe I've got used to it, they don't seem to itch as much, so I don't scratch them, so no infection. I also take B12 complex every day.

Certain bars I go to have mossies around, I just use Autan (cream, not messy) repellent.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: question about bugs

Bugs don't bother me, but my wife would find a way to get bitten during a space walk! We spent a month in Nuevo / Bucerias last Christmas, and despite not wearing any repellents, I don't recall being bitten (other than a couple of times on the beach, when I stepped on wasps that were inexdplicably doing the backstroke). My wife, however, sustained numerous bites in spite of the fact she was wearing repellent.

We've heard promising reports about the new Off with eucalyptus, which would be a big health improvement over DEET provided it works okay.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about bugs

If you're asking me, JR, no dietary changes. It was amazing however (bug-wise) how different things were from a 2-week trip in Oct, 2008 (and all the ones before) and a year later (and two long trips since). Really bad.

An experienced regular poster on this forum did ask me if I'd changed my meds in between those times. Yes, I did. I went on Zocor to reduce my cholesterol. That's the only change. I did read the list of side effects and talked to my doctor and we can't find where this would be the issue. Who knows though? The bugs haven't read the side effects of Zocor.

It's fascinating though that some people have a problem and some don't, no matter where they go. Even in San Blas 2 years ago (which is supposedly *bug-city* --- infested with no-see-um's), I did not get bitten at all and I did not spray myself ahead.

It remains a mystery.

What I have found though (if it helps anyone) is that when I'm there a month, it's mostly the first two weeks that I get eaten (even though I treat/spray from arrival). I guess the bugs figure out later that there is no new flesh. This doesn't help the people (who get eaten) who are only there for a week however. I feel for those people as it can definitely have an effect on their highly-anticipated vacation.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about bugs

They, the drug companies, probably don't know all the 'side effects', the way they rush things onto the market these days.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,524 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about bugs

Wow, such a load of personal anecdotal information. Not to mention the human attributes ascribed to insects (anthropomorphic what?) .

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about bugs

johnny... it seems our goal is to assist people (who may have problems, some severe) with bug bites. The only way to do that is to compare notes (ie: anecdotal experiences) since it is not an exact science.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: question about bugs

To Marly,You said you got bit in your unit,,,,,,,,,,man, that must have hurt. lol

Seriously though, we live and work in the deep woods of Wisconisn and the bugs are horible. We use 100% Deet by just dabbing it on our clothes and not on our skin. (100% Deet will actually make you sick) Dab it on your shoes, pants, belt, hat, collar, socks. You will not get sick and the bugs can't stand it. Just keep it off your skin.