We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canto del Sol in November

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Canto del Sol in November

Planning a girls getaway in November...looking seriously at this hotel.

Stayed at RDC in Bucerias last time, want to be closer to the action this time. How late does the pool and pool bars stay open? Anybody else been there in November? Any comments welcome and thanks in advance.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canto del Sol in November

We stayed at Canto Nov 2007 during the end of renovatioins... at that time the pool/pool bar closed btwn 7-8pm, the lobby bar was busier until 11 or so before people went out into town.

The Buenaventura is even closer to town (15min walk)... we stayed there Nov 2008, the pool closed earlier but the pool bar was open until after midnight and the lobby bar closed earlier.

Hopefully you will get some responses since our trips, we are heading back the Nov the week of Thanksgiving... still havent decided where we will be staying. Good Luck!

Keswick, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canto del Sol in November

Have stayed at Canto Del Sol and it is in the Hotel Zone, too far away from the action for me so I moved to the Buenaventura and loved it as the pool bar stayed open till 12:30 or 1 but then they renovated and really jacked up their prices for oceanview room with balcony. I travel solo yearly so I opted for the San Marino and booked an oceanfront junior suite for less than I was paying at the Buenaventura. They are strictly a Mexican hotel right by the pier, junior suites are great, food is so so but all the best food joints are right outside your door. The money I was saving I can spend on good food out. The bar closes at 10 but then some of the best bars are right outside their doors... Hope I helped without being too winded....

Edited: 06 September 2010, 23:43
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canto del Sol in November

We have stayed at the Canto numerous times, last being March of this year. The bar stays open till 12 midnite, and the pool stays open till 10, the swim up bar closes early. It is a 15 min bus ride to downtown or a 10 minute cab ride depending on what clubs you want to go to. The Beaunevntura is right down town, but flying out of SAskatoon it is a pricey place to stay. We have friends that stay at the Beaunaventura and they really like it. I have pictures of the hotel messge me if you would like to know anything about it. We have stayed there at least 6 times, and is our hotel of choice. The food is ok, breakfast is the best, the booze is plenty, and the staff is phoenominal. We are planning our next trip for November/December and again in February.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
7,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canto del Sol in November

Regarding the food: We thought Canto had much better food... buffet restaurant breakfast, lunch and dinner, much better quality and variety of food during the week; grill between the pool/beach avail for lunch; ala carte restaurant Mexican/Italian (alternated nightly) for dinner. Buenaventura was mostly buffet... breakfast was ok, lunch and dinner buffets seemed to be very similar, ala carte lunch was available near the pool/beach, sandwiches, etc with salad bar; ala carte 'rodizio' argentenian steakhouse 1 dinner with weeks stay really wasnt good (salty), several served courses... soup, salad, and individual courses of grilled chicken, pork, beef & fish and dessert.

Canto - better food, nicer rooms, swimup pool bar, better lobby/pool bars... considering going back to Canto this year

Buenaventura - nicer pool, better beach, great location... would consider going back for location alone, but not all-inclusive

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canto del Sol in November

Never stayed there, but whenever we're in that area we grab a couple of seats at the Buenaventura pool bar, excellent setting for an cold beverage or two.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canto del Sol in November

We chose the Canto.

Thanks everyone.

7. Re: Canto del Sol in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 17:16