We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on pesos from ATM

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
885 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Question on pesos from ATM

Good Evening!

I plan to use my ATM card to get pesos when in Puerto Vallarta [my first time and I cant wait!!!]. I am staying at an all-inclusive [Melia] and want to tip in pesos. Do the ATM machines give only large bills and will I be able to change them for small bills at the resort?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Michelle

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

The ATMS usually give only larger bills but if you put in an add number that will often get you some 50 Peso notes. so instead of taking out 3000 Pesos, (if that is your limit) try taking out 2950 Pesos. The last amount on the screen is usually other amount, so click that and type in the specific amount,

Getting change is pretty easy, always use a larger bill when possible, like at larger restaurants, grocery stores and OXXO minimart. You cna also ask at a bank and some cambios to change a larger bill down to smaller.

I never have problems getting change. Especially at an OXXO- if your amount is 40 Pesos,,do not pay with a 50 Peso note, give them a 200 Peso note. (Not letting them see the 50!)

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

The ATM's do give out larger bills' pesos' that are easily changed at your hotel.

Incidentally, using ATM' s is, in my opinion the smartest way to go.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

Only use the ATM at your resort. I used the ATM at the Mega Store north of NV and got my ID electronically stolen PIN # and all. 4 weeks later after I had retiurned home my ck acc was emtyied out by the thieves in MX. Bank got my money back from the MX bank who owned the ATMs by why set your self up. Use the ATM at your resort ONLY.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

Actually, the fraud from the ATMS were found to be an "inside" job, so it would not matter if the ATM was at Mega or at a Resort. I recommend you use the ATMs attached to a bank, especially if you forget your card in it.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,544 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

Not all of us stay at resorts, and don't think someone at the resort can't put a card skimmer on the resort's ATM just like what they probably did to you at Mega.

I have used ATMs to get our pesos for years with no problems, though I do know to check any machine I use anywhere for tampering, it is usually a card reader that is stuck over the machines reader with double sided tape.

This scam is happening all over the world, even in your back yard, it is hardly exclusive to PV or Mexico.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,267 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

I think the resort front desk would be willing to break large bills. Also do as bzy1 describes, always pay with the largest bill possible and save the smaller bills (and large coins) for tipping.

I'm guessing though it's probably a little more difficult staying at an all-inclusive because you aren't out making various transactions all day like I am staying on my own in town (where I daily hit the OXXO, a grocery store, several restaurant meals, etc.) so have many more opportunities to get change. -suze

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

We've used our ATM cards at several locations in PV, never had a problem. The hotel we stay in doesn't have an ATM. I work at a bank in Winnipeg, and have clients coming in on an almost daily basis who have had their cards compromised here at home.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,061 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

TheOldSalt, I know the case you're talking about, at the Mega near Bucerias.(BTW, there are 4 free-standing ATM's inside the store and there are 2 that are attached to banks in the stirp mall next to the Mega.)

Last year, 2 of my friends had their checking accounts completely wiped out. It appeared that the armored truck employees were the ones who attached the card-reader to one of the ATM's. Since one friend was in Bucerias for 6 months and only used the HSBC machine every week or 2 during that time, the bank was able to trace the fraudulent activity back to that particular machine. Consequently, I try to use only ATM's that are attached to banks during regular banking hours. If there's any problem with the machine, a bank employee will be able to straighten it out for you.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,939 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

I stayed at the Melia recently and had no trouble changing larger bills for smaller amounts (for tips and the bus) at the front desk -- several times.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question on pesos from ATM

A good way to help with this is to maybe cover the number pad with your other hand when entering your pin #. I do this here at home in Canada all the time .

Just a suggestion.