We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

specific restaurant questions

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canandaigua
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
specific restaurant questions

Just a couple more weeks until we arrive. Can't wait ! Maybe a year ago I was reading lots of rave reviews about Joe Jack's, Cafe Bohemia, and Marisco Polos. Don't see much about them right now. Has the quality of the food changed? Should we consider other places? What about Banana Cantino? If I have to choose just one beach bar, would you pick Burris Bar or Cuetes & Cuates? Thanks for help once again.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,496 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: specific restaurant questions

The restaurants you've named still get good 'reviews'. Seems many travellers of late, imho, have had other things on their minds than food -- well, at least for the past long while. There have been few trip and dining reports here on the (this) Forum. A little typical of the summer/slow season though -- should pick up considerably with fall/winter travel.

I believe Banana Cantina closed several months ago.

I'm not fond of Burro's. Like CyC's much more, but I'm not a big 'fan' of any of the beach bars.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
432 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: specific restaurant questions

Banana Cantina was sold and is now Fuego which is having a grand opening tonight.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: specific restaurant questions

Cafe Bohemio is always tasty, but it's much more fun when Sol and Chris are in town. I do believe they're around now. Joe Jack's is quite good, especially their mojitos. Marisco Polos is fine, too. I like El Colera or El Barracuda better, though. JMO...

I love a good beach bar! Burros is not my fave. I'll go there to meet friends, but it would never be my choice. CyC is fine with me, good food and often has live music. My favorite places on the beach are epoca, Langostino's, the Beach House, and El Dorado by Boca Bento (not sure if it's re-opened yet). If I had to choose one, it would be epoca. Fabulous service, excellent food and drinks.

Batavia, Illinois
Level Contributor
186 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: specific restaurant questions

We went to Joe Jacks just last week & thought was food was very good. My Hubby will post a review on that sometime soon - it was as he says the best Huaichanango (sp?) he has ever had & believe me he has had a lot!

I did a review on Casa Isabel just yesterday - you may enjoy that as well. Good food & even better atmosphere!

Bon Appetite!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: specific restaurant questions

I don't think lack of current conversation is anything negative. Joe Jack's, Cafe Bohemia, and Mariscos Polos are all long-standing good restaurants on the south-side.

I personally have never cared for Burro Bar (a couple somewhat negative experiences over the years). CyC's is nice at sunset when there's music. But as far as beach bars I usually choose one of the others. I just walk the beach and check out which set-up looks nice, who has the best chairs, loungers, palapas/umbrellas at the time I'm looking to settle in.

-suze

Comox BC
Level Contributor
987 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: specific restaurant questions

I'd concur with Spotcats primary choice of Epoca. Was there for the first time last year and definitely is a fave so will be back this (2011) year for more more. :-) I don't think I've reviewed it yet so I'll get that done shortly as I have some meal pics - makes me hungry just looking at them!

IME Burro's is hit & miss, CYC consistent and very pleasant - great well priced breakfasts. Cafe Bohemio always a hoot and good reliable food though not outstanding (IMO). Haven't been to Joe Jack's or Marisco's so can't comment.

Didn't know about sale of Banana Cantina but will be interested to hear reports on Fuego's. Does anyone know if Choco Banana is still there or did Deb sell that also?? Will be super sad if she did as it was a super little bar, great people and a regular stop on our way home each night.

Johnny - when are you and Jean off to PV -- I'd imagine fairly shortly? Haven't seen you about the boards of late and you've always been such a huge huge contributor with all your great reports and info.

Dreaming 2 - Enjoy PV!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,496 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: specific restaurant questions

"Should we consider other places?"

dreaming2 …. you might wish to check out some others -

For Mexican (plus): we really like Tony's Please -- Mexican and other fare, including fish/seafood, crepes, and etc. I love the Mexican steak platter!! And Los Tres Delfines -- for some "down home goodness" cooking!

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d1224…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d1215…

For Indian (East Indian): it's Casa de Tandoor (heh, it's the only place, and it's great!!). If you like Indian cuisine, and get a chance, do check out this wonderful little place.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d1760…

For Fish/Seafood: there's Mariscos Polo for one, El Bacalao for another, and Taqueria Fonda El Buen Gusto (an old favourite of ours, now back in business - and hope it still is!!) for budget offerings.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d1638…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d1785…

Cheers ... enjoy!!!!

Edited: 16 October 2010, 22:28
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,496 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: specific restaurant questions

WCGal ... thanks for your nice words. There will be no trip for us this fall ... we're disappointed, but we hope to rectify that next spring.

Good wishes!

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: specific restaurant questions

No fall trip??? Johnny, I'm so sorry to hear that! I was looking forward to your trip reports. Hope to see you next spring. No fall trip for us, either.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: specific restaurant questions

Awww JBC I am sorry to hear you and Mrs.JBC are not going to PV this fall. Mr.QT and I are not going down as well and I was hoping to read your amazing trip reports to tide me over.