We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
All is well in PV!

We winter in Guayabitos - 5 months- but take a couple of trips to PV each fall. This time a week at Holiday Inn in November ( non AI) and 3 nights at Los Tules in December.

Both trips were great- service in our favourite restaurants was as usual great- as was the food.

The drive each way was fine- the northbound bridge was open and the entire northbound side has new blacktop!

There is no reason NOT to VISIT

Toronto
Level Contributor
971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All is well in PV!

how did you find the vibrancy and atmosphere? did there appear to be a good amount of tourism coming back? it has definitely been lower in the last couple of years than 5+ years ago...albeit steady.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All is well in PV!

marktwothousand....I know you are going to PV and so am I so we are doing our bit. Lets hope it picks up.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All is well in PV!

It was quiet tourist wise- to be expected as it was 2 weeks before Christmas. However, I sensed it was quieter than usual.

Fewre people have driven down this year which has hurt business and some have decided not to come at all.

The media has had an effect although life is normal. Last year they slammed Mexico for H1N1 and now drug wars.

We drove down from Calgary in October and the drive was only scary in Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and Phoenix.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All is well in PV!

Hopefully January & February turns around.....

JRP
Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
56 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All is well in PV!

All is well at the moment as I sip coffee on my balcony at Villa Premiere. Everyone below is working hard to prepare the restaurant for breakfast and the pool for the day.

Last night was beautiful as I went to mass with everyone and enjoyed The Festival atmosphere while walking as much of the town as I could.

No whale sightings yet this morning and I'm looking forward to a perfect day of relaxing and exploring even more.

Everyone has been so friendly and welcoming- smiles everywhere- and I know I've made the right choice at Villa Premiere. I'm looking forward to joining Alberto tomorrow for a fun perspective of PV and the bay from his panga.

For now, slow and easy into, and through, the day.

Toronto
Level Contributor
971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All is well in PV!

One thing I have noticed in the virtual world, at least, is that this forum is much slower than it was last year, that is for sure.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,551 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All is well in PV!

Nice positive posts! Good idea to start this Oakside, and great that others are contributing, including the poster with the birds-eye view from the Villa Premiere.

Yesterday we went to Mass at Refugio (the one near the start of the Malecon, Parque Hidalgo) and there were lots of people heading towards Guadalupe area dressed in traditional Mexican costume, carrying Guadalupe statues etc. Very cheerful and bustling. Policemen were directing traffic.

The General Manager of the Hotel where we have our condo (the Krystal) said that occupancy is low but that they (the Krystal) are better off than many hotels because they get lots of groups (conventions, meetings, weddings, parties). He says those groups are saving them.

In general, Vallarta feels very nice and not sad, just less tourists. It feels nothing like the sad place during the time of the Swine Flu when everyone, Mexicans included, weren't travelling anywhere.

And I must comment on the beautiful weather, for those who aren't here. Yesterday morning at around 8 am my balcony thermomenter read 68 F (19 C). Warm enough to be sipping coffee on the balcony, and during the day, very comfortable to sit by the pool in bathing suits. Some places can be cool though. In church yesterday my husband had to leave to go and get a jacket as there was a cool breeze blowing through. The ladies in front of us were sharing a blanket. Nice and warm outside though.

My husband and I are trying to visit more new restaurants and write reviews. It's a bit harder to review places that aren't already on TA (they have to verify them). A bit hard when they don't have websites, but I'm trying.

Toronto
Level Contributor
971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All is well in PV!

Well if there seems to be more people now than when there was with the flu I'm good with that. Flu year, at least on the south side, didn't seem to be that bad at all. The beaches were busy. Excursions were booked. Hotels were busy.

I guess it might have been different in the more "family-friendly" resorts and areas of Vallarta.

North Providence...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All is well in PV!

Thanks Libby for being so positive about our beloved Vallarta.

Hope to see you in Feb./ march.

Michael

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All is well in PV!

I just returned from a week in the Romantic Zone, and thought it was really quiet. I asked many of the bartenders, and hotel staff, and they all said that it was very very slow for this time of year, but that they hoped it would pick up for New Years. The Tropicana I would guess was less than 1/4 full. The most people I saw at the pool at any one time was 6. Very few people were in the ocean swimming, even though I found it pretty warm, and not at all rough.

I did not have any trouble getting into any of the restaurants, and many of the night clubs I frequent were nearly empty during the week.

Everyone also said how cold it was for this time of year. I was surprised at how many people were wearing sweatshirts, jeans, and scarves. Being from Seattle, I was in 7th heaven. I never saw a cloud in the sky the entire stay. I only used my air conditioner from around 1pm until 5pm, and that is unusual for me. I normally like my room really cold.