We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing your own food on the plane

montreal quebec...
Level Contributor
194 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
bringing your own food on the plane

Hello fellow TA members,

We are going to dreams puerto vallarta in february and since air canada no longer provides food on board unless you pay a fortune and the sandwiches are horrible, does anyone know if i can bring my own couple of sandwiches and snacks.. We leave early morning so it would be nice to bring something to munch on.

many thanks, and p.s i dont know where to check with the airline for this it may be a security problem.

rick and judie

montreal canada

Alberta
Level Contributor
403 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

Hi

When you say my own sandwiches do you mean made at home which I would think you could because whenever I fly now I always buy (from restaurants in the departure area) sandwiches, drinks and even salads as do many people I have seen on the plane. Most of the restaurants have takeout containers just for this purpose but if you are still unsure just contact your airport authority at the airport in Montreal

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

If you bring them from home, it is easier for security if the chips/crackers/cookies are NOT opened when you go thru the security check point. The sandwich was fine...in a zip lock...but they thanked me for NOT having open packages of the chips.

I did not bring on a beverage from the security check point, but just drank what they offered to me.

NOW in reverse...when I left Mazatlan, I had a zip lock bag with a snack mixture (pretzels, cheesy crackers)...and they took that from me on the final tote check before i entered the plane...They allowed no bottles of water/soda at all onto the plane...bought in Mazatlan or bought in the secured area...NO different...just tossed them all away...or drink really quick!!

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

We have done this with each of the air carriers we have used from here in BC for the past few years (US Airways, Alaska Air, and WestJet), and have yet to experience a problem. We either make our own sandwiches at home and bring them, or just take the 'makings' for same, and put them together at the airport departure lounge before our flights.

Just remember, that what you wish to take on board will have to first pass airport security -- so use/refer to the guidelines (especially important re: liquids).

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,385 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

I've brought things like breakfast sandwiches or burgers from places like McDonald's on-board when I've left Chicago, but they were purchased near the gate after I went through security.

When leaving PV, I try to build enough time into my departure schedule so that I can enjoy a great burger at Carl's Jr., which is right next to the top of the stairs on the second floor level of the airport. This way, I've already had a satisfying meal before I go through airport security and the security check at the gate before boarding the plane.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,703 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

Yes you can bring food like snacks adn sandwiches on the plane. Just no "gels or liquids".

-suze

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,112 posts
566 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

Even when air carriers used to serve meals, I have always brought my own food from home (e.g. sandwiches, hard-boiled eggs, string cheese, snacks), on domestic and international flights, and have never had an issue come up with it. Just wrap your sandwiches in paper towels and then place each in a zippy bag, and label with a permanent marker what's in it. It is not bloody likely that security will want to see what is really inside your chicken salad sandwich. :) At least, you will enjoy a decent meal in flight.

Enjoy Dreams! We are so overdue for a return trip to Vallarta, it is not even funny. It has been five years. What are we thinking! :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
971 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

Original poster, you can bring sandwiches on board as long as they can be inspected by security.

Suze2you, you can bring liquids or gels, from Canada, where the OP is. They just have to be 100 ml less per container and fit into a 1000 ml closed ziplock bag.

i.e. CATSA won't stop you from bringing your own booze on the plane if it is packaged according to that criteria :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,453 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

the 100 mls or less rule for liquids and gels is actually a US rule, Mark. So I am fairly sure Suze would be aware of that.

You cannot bring a large drink, is likely why she mentioned it...of course all you have to do to get around that is buy a drink AFTER security screening before boarding your plane.

elenamex- totally agree about those Carl Jr's burgers- yummy! We just shared our first one last Friday at the PV airport. :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
971 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

Canada: 100 ml per container to a maximum of what will fit into a 1 litre ziplock bag.

US: 3.4 oz per container to a maximum of what will fit into a 1 quart ziplock bag.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,896 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing your own food on the plane

Mark - 100mls is 3.4ozs. It's 3.38ozs, to be exact.

It's the same rules, no matter which side of the border you're on.