We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Palapa restaurant

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mayan Riviera...
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
La Palapa restaurant

I have heard alot about the La Palapa restaurant, but I was wondering where about is this place, and do you need a reservation? any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Palapa restaurant

Púlpito 103

We usually make reservations, decent restaurant. So is the Dorado next door.

Wi
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Palapa restaurant

It is located right on the beach. It is a great restaurant with very good food, awesome presentation of food and exceptional service. I would highly recommend you make a reservation if you are dining there in high season (November-March). Here is there website. www.lapalapapv.com

Michigan
Level Contributor
349 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Palapa restaurant

We have never had dinner there, but we do like to go there for breakfast about 10:00 am. It is a very pretty setting, with good food, a nice presentation, and decent price (for breakfast). You can either sit inside the open air restaurant or on the beach under umbrellas. Very pleasant to enjoy a long, relaxing breakfast and watch the beach are "come to life" in the morning.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Palapa restaurant

If I'm thinking of the right place, we had lunch there last fall. It was very good.

I also really enjoyed all the old pictures of Puerto Vallarta on the walls while walking to the bathroom.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Palapa restaurant

Jeanh, The old pictures in the hall you describe sounds like La Playita at the Lindo Mar.

Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Palapa restaurant

Yes there are old pictures at La Playita as well. But the dining experience at La Palapa trumps La Playita but a higher price.

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Palapa restaurant

Jeanh - There are definitely a lot of pictures on the walls to the bathrooms at La Palapa. If you were in town, you were at La Palapa.

We have eaten there twice and liked it very much. The service and food is very good and I have to say that part of the appeal.......is a kind of old timey tropical luxurious feel......if that makes any sense LOL.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,236 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Palapa restaurant

KansasPVGal describes my feeling exactly. La Palapa is such an icon in the history of Vallarta, since 1959, as well as a lovely place with a timeless tropical feel..

http://www.lapalapapv.com/site/our-history

The Perez family, (The current owner is Alberto Perez) is such an amazing family in the history of Vallarta!. The sister described in the above, Rodalinda, was also instrumental in building many of the well-known condos on Los Muertos Beach.. Another brother, the late Chico Perez, who owned Sr. Chico's, now Vista Grill, (as well as as Chico's Paradise and other Chico-named businesses). And the architect of La Palapa. Cachi Perez, also built many well-known buildings, including the beautiful Casa Isabel. I believe they were 13 children in the Perez family: all outstanding.

Edited: 22 February 2011, 01:11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
30 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Palapa restaurant

This restaurant was highly recommended to us by a relative. We made reservations and were looking forward to dining on the beach (February 15). We were seated promptly and that was the end of any kind of service. We sat 10 minutes before someone asked if we had been waited on. Then another person came 10 minutes later to ask if we knew what we wanted when I said a menu would be nice to make a selection. They sent yet another person with a menu. 30 minutes later, still with no drink order, we placed our order. 30 minutes later our dinner arrived by yet another person, fourth different one, at this point we finally got water and gave up trying to order a drink. No one came by to check how everyhting was. By the way, the food was mediocre at best. I had the snapper, which was very dry. My wife had the scallops which were OK. We then ordered dessert and waited another 30 minutes (I know, what were we thinking at this point). Finally 2 hours and 15 minutes from start to finish we paid our bill. Food was very pricey which in my opinion is OK when you get the service to go along with the prices.

One other point was that there was a group of 10 adults sitting at one table and all of their children, approximately 12 kids, were at another table, but mostly these young children were noisy, loud, running between tables and all of the adults seemed unconcerned with this along with the restaurant staff who ignored the situation.

All in all, this was the worst experience we had in PV. Overall, all of our other stops and during our week long vacation were very enjoyable.

I would highly recommend NOT to go here after this experience.

Toronto
Level Contributor
942 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Palapa restaurant

Go once if you have time, but I agree with the previous poster's sentiment. You're not missing out on much if you don't go; and if you do go, you probably won't find it special enough to go back.

The overall experience was only "OK". If you're looking for quality food and service, you could probably get better in PV at the same price (which ranges from about 250 to 300 for an entree).

The only real reason to go here, IMO, is if you want to eat on a table on beach sand, at night, in an intimate setting.

The menu is also very limiting. IIRC, they had about 10 entrees, and even less appies.