We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fleas and Zancuda's

Lake Tahoe, CA.
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fleas and Zancuda's

I have a casita in Quimixto and on a recent visit, my lady had significant reactions to "bug bites" requiring steroidal injections to deal with her intense itching.

Sooo...we're looking for natural repellents and supplements to keep fleas and other insects at bay. Any help would be much appreciated! Randy

A

Mentioned in this post
Quimixto
Quimixto
195 Reviews
Cabo Corrientes, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

Probable no-see-ems (jejenes) never seen a flee problem here. Use a repellent and avoid the beach and/or river bank at dawn and dusk.

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

We got eaten alive by them having lunch on the bank of the Cuale. So It's not just dawn & dusk.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

For real fleas .. the best natural repellent would be to avoid contact with (or get rid of) the source of such (dog, cat, or?).

Walking beaches or eating on-the-sand (and doing the wriggling of toes in the sand thing) in the early-mornings and/or (especially in the) early-evenings can lead to a lot of foot, ankle and lower leg bites from 'sand fleas' -- not fleas or flies, but small crustaceans, and they can really do their thing on you when disturbed!!

houston, texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

I think they are called "no seeums", that is what they are called in Florida. They are sand fleas, but you can't see them.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

The best thing about no-see-ums is generally the more exposed you are, the more immune to their bites you get.

My husband used to have huge welts on his legs for at least two weeks. Now, they're gone in a few days.

I've never reacted, tiny red dots that disappear in a few hours.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

only repellent that has worked for us here is AUTAN,

taking strong garlic supplements is supposed to help repel no seeums as supposedly they sense it in skin odor...it seems to help

and definitely no body lotions or products with fragrance

they love sun lotion so use fragrance free

white areas of skin attracts them until base tan is achieved, also certain colours but can't remember so research

if you forget your anti itch stick use lime on bite

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

Man I got nailed by see-ems in Bucerias last week, first time.

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

Beginning at the age of four, I lived in Flin Flon for 3 years. The bugs there were big enough to carry away pets and infants! Every kid in town walked around all summer with quarter-sized bald spots from scratching the bites.

Seems it was a good investment, though, because I'm pretty much bullet-proof now as far as insects are concerned. My wife, on the other hand, could find a way to get bitten on a space walk...

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

2 dozen trips to all parts of Mexico over the last 20 years and no bites.... until last November in Huatulco, last day there before returning to Canada.. I was up really early, long walk on the beach... Yikes.... move over Itchy and Scratchy! The longest flight of life, 6 1/2 hours, sandwiched between two people that I didn't know, so friggin uncomfortable, the saving grace was the anti- histamines washed down with Sunwing's finest selection of premium scotch!

a link of the culprits.... try DEET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fleas and Zancuda's

suzetravels .... that link is to a biting midge (an insect, a fly) -- and most-commonly referred to as a "no-see-em".

What I referred to in my post (#3) as a "sand flea", is not an bug or other insect at all, but rather a crustacean that lives in the sand. They're disturbed by walking on beaches, lying on beaches, sitting and dining on beaches, and etc.