We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsunami warning?

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
Save Topic
Tsunami warning?

any news surrounding the latest quake in Japan news is that the pacific coast of mexico has been put on alert!!!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tsunami warning?

West coast of USA was just put on it also. They have no idea though how big it will be. 2 inches or 2 meters. They have boyes in the ocean to give warnings along the way to try to figure what to expect.

Hawaii will be hit at around 7:00 CST today. They don't know what to expect yet either. But they are warning people in low area to go one half mile inland. Highrise hotels are keeping everybody above the 5th floor.

Japan got hammered.

I hope it don't get worse than what I am seeing on TV right now. 5:20 AM 3/11/2012

"Funman"

Edited: 11 March 2011, 11:25
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tsunami warning?

The warning effects only West Coast of BC & California.

It does extend to Cabo, but not Puerto Vallarta.

Just researched online and heard on CNN.

David

NW Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Tsunami warning?

wrong.....you are also in danger.....especially because of the Bay.....the water will pool....and if it's only a 2 foot event.....because of the pooling it can become an 8 ft event.....don't risk it.....and if all of the sudden the water recedees....get to higher ground

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tsunami warning?

will watch it from the beach.

www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx…

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tsunami warning?

Wrong Shelly, you have it back to front, our bay is so deep and wide it dissipates any event like this. I was here many years ago when we had a tsunami event in the bay and the water only came up about 3ft. and very slowly at that.

Twin Bridges...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tsunami warning?

According to PV Pulse on Facebook, 50 countries including Mexico have issued alerts and the education secretary in Jalisco has put all schools on alert. I really doubt much will happen here, as the bay is so big.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tsunami warning?

They are saying on CNN that this is different from what any of us have seen in our lifetimes. You may not get it, but I wouldn't take the risk as Jalisco is in the tsunami zone, from what I've read. Please just be careful.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
28,777 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tsunami warning?

That alert has been lifted for Jalisco, it's in effect for Cabo and north to California north.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tsunami warning?

thanks so much all. please continue keeping us updated!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tsunami warning?

It is expected to hit between 11h00 and 13h00

www.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php…