We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

Aside from the delicious seafood dishes, the service was outstanding!! Another plus for me was that since i was traveling solo this trip, the lighting was such that i was able to bring my reading matter with me and actually be able to SEE to read it!! I was there twice this trip - the escargots were amazing (I know i know - not everyone likes escargots) but they were yummy!! And for both my dinners, i had the shrimp burger platter which was outstanding!! For me, i preferred a little less cheese on it, which when i asked my second visit they were more than accommodating - Luciano, the waiter was very charming and pleasant, as was the owner Russo - and i had a ringside seat for the Gay Pride Parade! All in all, a great little place! I just could not understand the lines outside of Cafe de Olla & Joe Jack's when El Bacalao was so nearby with seats to accommodate - mind you - i'm not really knocking either Cafe de Olla or Joe Jack's, just that if you're hungry for some good food, why wait when you don't have to?? Try it -

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,439 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

Yup, couldn't agree more!! It was a dining highlight for us during our last stay (May '10) - we just tried it too late in our stay, to be able do a repeat (ugh!!). Good fish/seafood dishes (and well-made drinks!!), and friendly, appropriately-attentive service.

Good to see your comments!!

It's on our 'return to' list for May. (must try the escargot -- yum!!)

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g150793-d1638…

Pacific Latitiude...
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

We love it and would never line up when we can walk right in. Owned by the purveyors of Fajita Republic. Just incredible!

Nacho Daddys down the block also has beautiful planters outside. Just planted last Friday...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
25,779 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

"i had a ringside seat for the Gay Pride Parade! "

I think you mean the Mardi Gras parade. That was on March 5th.

Great Neck, NY
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

To PV Jennybean - mardi gras or gay pride - whatever - i was told it was a gay pride parade - ni modo - a good time was had by all!!!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

I think the problem with most restaurants is, if people go with too high expectations, they are disappointed. We went there last summer for fish and chips because they were raved about.. My husband thought it was just ok. I had the regular fish, but, again, just ok and no better than I can elsewhere for less. But a lot of people like it, so I'm glad you did. I didn't write a review because I don't like to do that until I have given it another try. Maybe it was just an off day.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

lopo--i had the shrimpburger too and liked it---i hope to repeat there too

Wausau, WI
Level Contributor
537 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

Another great post; as stated on your other post, we are staying right nearby at PLA. Will give this place a visit. Thanks!

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

I love them as well and really like their panko crusted fish and their fish and chips. Their ceviche is also excellent!

Bardonia new york
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

Jenny..if you do a search you will see it is also called the gay pride parade....maybe you should check first before trying to correct people.....I don't understand what the big deal was for you having to put your two cents in...as far as I'm concerned I'm with Lopo GAY PRIDE PARADE

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Bacalao on Basilio Badillo is WONDERFUL!!

I saw the pics taken during the parade on Vallarta Scene's website. Imo it was both Gay Pride and Mardi Gras. Actually from reading VS while it was being planned.....I understood that to be the intention, but everyone was allowed to participate so it kinda became a Mardi Gras event.

Lopo sounds like this is a must try restaurant for us this trip. So handy since it's easy from the south bus stop too. I didn't fine a web site for them....would love to see a menu but I'll check it out when we walk by.