We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Flights

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericton, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Flights

We have travelled to PV twice over the past year from the east coast of Canada. We are finding the flights costly from most departure points.

example

Fredericton to PV $950-1000 Cdn$,

Bangor Maine to PV $700-800 US$

Our question is: Has anyone had experience that shows a particular departure city with direct flights to PV may tend to be less expensive.

Thanks,

Dave.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Flights

Sorry to say, but ALL flights have gone up in price this year. Even the seat sales aren't as inexpensive as they have been in past years.

2010 had higher than expected passenger loads, while airlines were simultaneously trimming back routes to save $$. Now add to that increased fuel costs which have resulted in fuel surcharges added to all tickets...and you have the perfect storm of higher pricing, and no indications it's going to drop again anytime soon.

My best advice is to explore several of the following avenues as options. These are what I do when I start looking for flights:

1. Consider one-way ticket purchases vs. round trip itineraries. Most of the time, airline seat sales advertise their fares as One-Way pricing. Quite often if you price the exact same itinerary and flights as a round trip, you pay more. Why, I could not tell you, but I ran into this phenomenon last year and the year before several times. I wound up buying two one-way fares on seat sale prices and saved myself $300 over the round trip itinerary with the exact same flights.

2. Look into departures from surrounding airports in addition to the one you normally leave from...especially larger airports that serve as hubs for major airlines that fly to PV. You might be able to either drive, or fly into a larger hub and find a less expensive fare either direct or connection.

3. Determine your airfare budget limits up front. Figure out an airfare limit of what you are comfortable paying, and if you see an airfare within those parameters with flights that you want or like, buy it. A good tip is to buy direct via the airline as often as you can, so if it turns out your flights go on sale after purchase, you might be able to negotiate a credit for the difference...I say *might* because some airlines are more willing and open to doing credits than others are. Either way, once you buy that ticket it's healthier not to keep searching for fares...you'll drive yourself nuts.

Just some handy tips from someone who spends a LOT of time searching airfares to PV.

Edited: 17 March 2011, 17:43
Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Flights

Our last trip, feb 21 to march 7 was interesting. To get non a stop flight down, we could have booked direct with Westjet, or via an agency such as Itravel2000. Flight number was 2152. To get non stop back, the Westjet flight 2153 was not available from Westjet, but had to be booked thru Itravel2000. Am guessing Itravel had blocked out a fair number of seats, so to add to Jenn's comments, check with Itravel, sunwing,

(whatever they are called) Transat and any others you can think of. It might not help, but might give you a bit more peace of mind that you have done your best. Then again if you don't mind a stop, (and hey, what's wrong with going from Vancouver to PV via Toronto aside from turning a 4 hour and 15 minute flight into an odyssey?) check all those out as well.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Flights

We are leaving from Fredericton to PV this morning via Toronto. Airfare was $1420 for two people. That is the very best price that I have ever gotten from the east coast. Air Canada has a direct flight to PV from Halifax that runs around $800 per person. We looked at Bangor but with the stopovers it just wasn't worth it. Good luck!

Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Flights

It is definitely more expensive this year but there are deals to be had out there if you can manage a last minute deal ...a friend of ours got a roundtrip ticket from Toronto this past feb. On selloffairfares.com for $60 plus tax!!!!

Fredericton, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Flights

Thanks for the ideas. I too have spent many hours chasing flights to PV. Have a look at one of the other posts re a last minute idea which could work.

Good luck in the future on getting to PV!

Fredericton, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Flights

Thanks for the ideas!

I would say that we were there at the same time this year, as you, we left the 24th of Feb and returned on the 5th. Just a short stay this time. But as always a great time.

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Flights

Just now booked WestJet Vancouver to PV depart may 28 CDN$ 592.32 return

Estevan, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Flights

claymore..is that taxes in?????

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Flights

I don't think those fares are that bad considering you are coming from such a distance.

We are here in PV now, paid $930.00( we bought in November x 5 of us - ouch) - direct flight from Westjet, and that's from Vancouver!

I thought I was crazy, but didn't want to end up with no flight as there seemed to be many less charters running. Good thing I bucked up when I did as the couple next to me paid almost $1400.00 for the same plane...waiting till the price dropped, which it never did.

Sign of the times..

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Flights

Sharkey, that was taxes in. Flight 2152 down and 2153 back a week later.

These things change quickly.

I do like Jenn said, watch the prices, compare the various options, and wait for a moment to strike! using another source for the same flights was $766.

No fuel surcharge mentioned.