We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RE: $ - Exchange Rate and Where

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
193 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
RE: $ - Exchange Rate and Where

Leaving for P.V. this week. Does anyone know the current exchange rate (purchasing pesos) using U.S. dollars? Also, in the past, the best rate of exchange was at the banks. Is this still so? Where would one recommend exchanging dollars when they first arrive (airport - then going to Marina area). Thanks.

Gaylord, Minnesota
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RE: $ - Exchange Rate and Where

Check the top questions at the right side of the page this topic has been covered many times. My experence is the ATM's give the best echange. I compared cambio rates vs ATM rates, in three weeks our family of five saved $250.00US using ATM'sover cambios. Check out Direct Cash ATM;s they have a phone number on the machine and an office in PV with english speakers to help you if you have any problem with their machines

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RE: $ - Exchange Rate and Where

We just returned. I didn't use an ATM, so I can't comment on that. The rate at the airport was horrible (under 10 pesos/dollar, if I recall corrrectly). I usually have a few hundred pesos on me, so I didn't exchange there. We got between 10.90 and 11.10 throughout our trip -- either at our hotel (Los Arcos Suites) or at the hole in the wall cambios on the street. SOME are now asking for a passport when changing money, others are not. I visited one casa de cambio twice that did not ask for a passport (it was near the touristy mercado on the rio cuale).

New York
Level Contributor
193 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RE: $ - Exchange Rate and Where

Thanks. We use Chase Bank here in the U.S., but from looking it up, it appears that they do not have any affiliated ATM's in Mexico. We've always used Casas de Cambio or the Bank in past years, so I guess we'll do the same. I suspect that the exchange rate should be closer to 12 than 11 these days.

Chicago
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RE: $ - Exchange Rate and Where

Our rate of exchange from March 24 thru April 1 was 11.98. We used our ATM at Scotia Banks with no fees

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RE: $ - Exchange Rate and Where

Hi: If you´re staying in the Marina area, I would get pesos at Plaza Marina (see on this map). Some of the banks don´t exchange dollars, but Scotiabank (near the south end) does. I believe they require a passport, but I´m not sure. It also has two ATMs attached to it. We use them regularly without a problem.

On this map (courtesy of JRinPV), you´ll see Plaza Marina just below the airport. (it says Dental Clinic)

http://vallartainfo.com/marina.html

Edited: 10 April 2011, 23:42
6. Re: RE: $ - Exchange Rate and Where

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 10:20